Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be dropping the pan on the tranny this weekend and want to change the filter, too. My question is.....Is there really only filter, as in, no competitors/better options? (like there are with fuel and oil filters) Are they all made to the same standard/quality? Should I just run down to NAPA and pick up what ever one they have there for me?

Thanks,

Billy

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing...

Sould I stick with Valvoline ATF+4 or can I use this Walley World Super Tech???

Thanks again

· Registered
1,178 Posts
good question i need to do a chnge soon as well

· Registered
261 Posts
I just had my tranny upgraded and he used the paper filter from the 94 2500's. The paper filter apparently is much much better then the plastic junk in the 48RE.

· Registered
700 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
yeah, im sorry i forgot the entire reason why, but i trust my buddy Justin. He has a lot of 48RE's under his belt and my tranny is bada$$!!! I'll give him a call and find out why.

· Registered
166 Posts
I am going to be dropping the pan on the tranny this weekend and want to change the filter, too. My question is.....Is there really only filter, as in, no competitors/better options? (like there are with fuel and oil filters) Are they all made to the same standard/quality? Should I just run down to NAPA and pick up what ever one they have there for me?

Thanks,

Billy
I just did my tranny service and bought the afe trans filter from xtreme diesel. Im sure any atf-4 would be good but me personally i would go amsoil your only dropping the pan should be 6 - 7 quarts.

· Banned
553 Posts
what do you all think would be more important in your changing of the fluid, The Type of Fluid (ATF +4) you use or the Type of Filter you put in?

· Registered
166 Posts
Its deffinately more important to use a atf-4. I would use a good synthetic amsoil or royal purple. Our tranmissions are not the greatest trannys uless you build them to the tune of $4000 - $7000 a good tranny fluid will help with longevity.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks yall for the info. Im not gonna be able to do it this weekend after all. Work is kickin my butt.

I am gonna go ahead and flush out the whole thing and replace the filter, too. Gonna see if I can find some RP around this area.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.