Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my commander I noticed the tranny temp getting up to about 165 the other day. I don't recall it ever getting that high. The commander uses the test port and it's my understanding that the temp it see's is actually cooler than what's running through there? But, I've noticed that when the TC is locked and I'm cruising at around 60-70 and I pass someone without it shifting out of overdrive, the truck has like a vibration feeling if that makes sense. It's also getting to where when I slow down and then take back off, it hunts gears a bit. It'll go, and then downshift, and then upshift again. Anyone else experienced any of this? I don't romp on my truck by any means. It's a daily driver that sees about 70 miles round trip a day to and from work and that's pretty much it. It's out of the factory warranty but there is an extended warranty...is any of this sounding like the tranny is about to go??? There's been no slipping unless that's what that vibration feeling is. Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
The vibration sounds more like a u-joint.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This all sounds about normal for a stock 48RE. Ho many miles? The predator packs some punch so it could be getting some wear.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice truck BTW.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It just hit 41k. I thought possible u-joint as well when it first started but, seems like I remember other trucks I've had also having a squeaking sound along with the vibration when the u-joints were going. Just wanted to try and make sure this thing wasn't about to blow.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mine does the 1st,2nd shift hunt also but no other symptoms. On a hot day here in AZ daily driving will get the tranny temp up to 180 deg. at the test port locaton.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine does the 1st,2nd shift hunt also but no other symptoms. On a hot day here in AZ daily driving will get the tranny temp up to 180 deg. at the test port locaton.
Thanks for the info...I've been looking for some temps out of the test ports that everyone else gets. I guess I quit paying attention to it there for awhile because it had quit working and was just showing 100* all the time.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
the highest my trans temp has got was 160* but thats at stop and go,,,,,,on the highway it will drop to 100*

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
is outside temp a issue with the trans temp?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts