Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny adjusments... A518
New here and I just bought a 93 ext cab long box 4x4. 360km on the ticker. Runs great. Turned up the smoke screw a touche and turned the fuel pin is all so far. Tranny has been recently rebuilt says previous owner. I couldn't feel it shift at all though...very soft. So after reading on here, i love this place, I dropped the pan and adjusted linepressure and shift point allen screws. Next adjusted reverse band. Wend to adjust intermediate band and it never loosened up for me. After backing the lock nut it still felt crappy. Just sticky was all. Not like the reverse. I turned it 1/4 turn anyway but didn't really notice much change in the transmission behaviour.

Should I snug it up some more to get firmer shifts?

The torque converter might have felt a tad better but hard to say.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Tranny adjusments... A518
New here and I just bought a 93 ext cab long box 4x4. 360km on the ticker. Runs great. Turned up the smoke screw a touche and turned the fuel pin is all so far. Tranny has been recently rebuilt says previous owner. I couldn't feel it shift at all though...very soft. So after reading on here, i love this place, I dropped the pan and adjusted linepressure and shift point allen screws. Next adjusted reverse band. Wend to adjust intermediate band and it never loosened up for me. After backing the lock nut it still felt crappy. Just sticky was all. Not like the reverse. I turned it 1/4 turn anyway but didn't really notice much change in the transmission behaviour.

Should I snug it up some more to get firmer shifts?

The torque converter might have felt a tad better but hard to say.

Thanks in advance.
If you're referring to the locknut not spinning loosely on the adjuster bolt on the int band, it's a non issue. It has a seal on it where the low/reverse doesn't (outside case vs inside).

No, you don't want to deviate from recommended band adjustment. Back the lock nuts off and tighten to 72 in lbs then back off prescribed number of turns. It is as critical that there be sufficient clearance between the drum and band when band is not applied , esp since the band spends much more time with the drum spinning inside than holding it.

You don't mention tv cable adjustment. This is the first thing you should do when addressing shift quality complaints.

That said, I don't find the stock shifts very firm/clean. I installed the Transgo TFOD shift kit in mine. Huge difference in shift quality.

Converter failure is not something that's going to feel a "tad" different. There isn't anything that wears out in them and if you have a sprag clutch failure in it, you'll know.

Steve g

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well I adjusted the ban as per the procedure. Still shifts soft so far. How does one set up the tv cable? I'll search and see. I did adjust my kick down cable. Can someone post a pick of a properly set up linkage at the injection pump and tranny.

Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well took a closer look today. TV cable wasn't hooked up at tranny end. Shifting better now. I still may turn the pressure up further for a bit more kick. The cable is adjusted to about 1/4" of gap at the top side. Is that about right? I think I'm out of adjustment.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A better converter and a shift kit will get you a better "feel" as well as mpgs and performance. I put a very mild shift kit in and it only ran ~$60 and better converter for ~$350 and its night and day over the stock stuff.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well took a closer look today. TV cable wasn't hooked up at tranny end. Shifting better now. I still may turn the pressure up further for a bit more kick. The cable is adjusted to about 1/4" of gap at the top side. Is that about right? I think I'm out of adjustment.
I wouldn't be turning pressure up at the regulater. Too high a pressure will create hard initial engagements and run the risk of breaking a band when putting it into reverse when it's cold )pressure is boosted for reverse engagement and can climb even higher when cold).

No, you should not have 1/4" of play. There should be just a visible space between the end of the slot and the pin so that you know it's not touching. If you can't get it adjusted take a good look at the cable. It's likely on it's way out.

Steve g

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
Look for the thread here on this site about "How to adjust transmission" It has pictures too! You will know how to adjust the cable, the shift point (inside the valve body not at the cable) and the line pressure. It also outlines the higher line pressures and how to adjust for that.

It is also posted over on the Diesel Truck Resouce forum. If you can't locate that, I will look in my note book as I have it on paper there and could find the website address.

I had made some adjustments in the past and forgot to reconnect that TV cable on the tranny. It feels like driving a bowl of oatmeal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
putting too much on the bands will smoke them. go with the recommened procedure.

stock shifts are soft, thats how they are designed. swap the valve body or install a shift kit. i just installed a bd diesel valve body and it made a nice difference.

converters in these trucks arnt very stout. getting a upgrade will help transfer power nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts