Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have r but i have no forward gears
i changed all the band adjustments and checked all the fluids and i am not throwing any codes

i just had the tranny out and checked all the cluches and clutch bands and all looked good put a new billet input and a stage 5 tc in from tcs seems to be workin since i have r

could the valve body be bad or since i have r does that mean it good or does it use a different part to go

·
Registered
876 Posts
Different combinations of clutches/bands are used to obtain the various forward ranges as well as reverse. There is one clutch common to all forward ranges.

I suggest you perform the pressure tests listed in the factory service manual.

All you need a 1/8" NPT fitting, a length of hose (needs to be good for 300 psi) and a 300 psi pressure gauge. A cheap gauge is sufficient for occasional use.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sure you put the piston on the input shaft hub? I just did the same thing your talking about with the same result. If you're sure you put the piston on then it could also be the seals on the input shaft.

·
Registered
69 Posts
props to you auto guys, i wish i had the confidence id ever be able to overhaul an automatic and that it would ever work right again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Actully its not to hard, we just did my buddys. Put a valve body in, billit input shaft with new clutchs and tc but we also had the all the other guts out of it. Once you get the oil pump out it all falls out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
trans band adjustment

I just purchased a 97 2500 4x4 with the cummins,47re trans. In the manual it recommends ser. every 30k and adjust bands. I come from a chev. back ground so i am not familiar with adjusting bands. Any info on how to do the adjustments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just purchased a 97 2500 4x4 with the cummins,47re trans. In the manual it recommends ser. every 30k and adjust bands. I come from a chev. back ground so i am not familiar with adjusting bands. Any info on how to do the adjustments would be appreciated.
Get yourself a copy of the service manual, the procedure is listed there in detail.

You can get service manuals on CD pretty cheap and fast off feebay. I am happy with the 1996-2001 manual I got from this guy:

eBay Motors: 1996 - 2001 Dodge Ram Service Repair Manual 97 98 99 01 (item 130300329053 end time Apr-25-09 10:11:28 PDT)

Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.