Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tranny Pan Removal

1205 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  TBIAgent69
Could someone post In-depth directions on how to successfully remove a DD Mag-Hytec pan on the 48re?

Include fluid amounts also...

Thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,891 Posts
i wish i could remember the amount of oil....but as far as taking the pan off....just drain the ATF(15 gallon oil drain bucket will be way more then enough), Loosen the bolts to cover and remove....don't know much more in depth you would need . good luck. and sorry if this doesn't help.

· Registered
131 Posts
6 1/2 quarts if you are only draining the pan and putting in a new filter...

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Where in the VB is the filter located? And also, how do you drain the torque converter?

Thanks

· Registered
4,642 Posts
take out the transmission to drain the torque converter.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh alright. i dont need to do that for this particular job i gotta do (replace tranny gasket) but I wasnt aware you had to drop the tranny to drain the TC...

Thanks

· Registered
262 Posts
Could someone post In-depth directions on how to successfully remove a DD Mag-Hytec pan on the 48re?

Include fluid amounts also...

Thanks.
R&R instructions: http://www.mag-hytec.com/Dodge Trans/Dodge 727-DD.pdf

ATF+4 amount varies on whether you do the R&R immediately after shutting down the engine or if you wait a few days.

Immediate shutdown: You will need between 10 and 10.5 qts.

If you wait a few days (which allows the TC to drain into the pan): You will need approx 14 qts.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. btw, mine currently has the factory gasket with a little bit of silicone sealer on there so how hard will it be to unstick the pan from the tranny? should i use a rubber mallet?

· Registered
3,891 Posts
the mag pan should of had an o-ring gasket already on there...or mayb that is on the axle covers...

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the last time mine was put on they used the factory o-ring type gasket along with a bit of silicone sealer...

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My whole tranny is aftermarket but when I get up underneath the TC all I see is a plate with three hex head bolts...no plug.

· Registered
125 Posts
My whole tranny is aftermarket but when I get up underneath the TC all I see is a plate with three hex head bolts...no plug.
spin the motor a little bit. There should be one there. Often times it will line up with a hole in the flexplate.

The silicone on the pan shouldn't be too big a problem. I'd say just try to push the pan or twist it once you get all the bolts out and it should come off.

The filter is easy to spot. it is right in the middle of the valve body, you can't miss it. You need a torx bit to take it off if I remember correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.