Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its an auto....what will this cause? is it a problem? i over filled the trans by about 1/4 over Full on the dipstick. i checked it when the fuild was pretty warm/hot in N.

also i noticed when i was driving on the highway my truck isnt really coasting as much as it did, it would drop about 5mph at 55-60 if i let my foot off the pedel for 1 second or 2. but it doesnt do it at 30mph... it just coasts fine then ( i dont know if it always did this or i just noticed it now that i overfilled the trans and im playing head games with myself haha :doh: )

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
its an auto....what will this cause? is it a problem? i over filled the trans by about 1/4 over Full on the dipstick. i checked it when the fuild was pretty warm/hot in N.

also i noticed when i was driving on the highway my truck isnt really coasting as much as it did, it would drop about 5mph at 55-60 if i let my foot off the pedel for 1 second or 2. but it doesnt do it at 30mph... it just coasts fine then ( i dont know if it always did this or i just noticed it now that i overfilled the trans and im playing head games with myself haha :doh: )

thanks
At 60mph your TC is locked, thus slowing you down faster as the engine is trying to go back to idle. 30mph the TC is not locked, thus the engine going to idle and you are litterally coasting under the momentum of the truck.

1/4", or what? You are actually supposed to fill the tranny about .75-1qt past the full line, which is about 1/8-1/4" so you are at the actual "full" mark where it is better off at. You are good to go! Everything else is just in your head.:thumbsup:

Reactions: gnarlyrider410

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im planning on changing the transfer case oil tommorrow. just drain it and fill till it leaks out the top hole? like the differentials? the plugs are located on the backside of the transfer case right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
im planning on changing the transfer case oil tommorrow. just drain it and fill till it leaks out the top hole? like the differentials? the plugs are located on the backside of the transfer case right?
that'd be correct on a TRANSFER case, your fill is the top and drain is bottom obviously...look on there above the drain plug and at the top there is a NEW PROCESS GEAR tag, see which case you have 241/243 hold 3.4 pints and 271/273 hold 4 pints(2 quarts). make sure you get a funnel you can fill from the side. as far as the torq spec for the yoke nut, i am still searching for this as i am actually having to replace my front output shaft seal today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts