Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the truck running good. Lots of new MOds and $.

Lately,especially when cold the trans will kind of skip 1 2 3 times at 40 mph or 50 mph, if I lean on the pedal at rolling. Not from a light stopped. It wont do it if i push the OD off button. As I warm it up threw the day it is more tight.

Anyway when it skips hard I let off soft and keep driving but it really sucks because I cant use my power to pass or move on in a hurry.

What is skipping or slipping? My Convertor? My clutches. or what.
This tranning has 60K on her and the fluid is as clear as its suppose to be. I never get hot! ANd I monitor her good.

ANy suggestions? I plan on changing the fliud and filter. Maybe put in some LUCAS tranny additive or ?

Anything to make her last a while longer because funds are real low now!

Thanks in advance!
:(

G

·
Check and see if the trans set any codes. If the trans is slipping, it'll tell you there is a problem with the speed sensor, even if the truck works normally. Also, "skipping" all three forward gears except OD means the rear clutch pack has found its life expectancy.

If you give more details, I might have better info for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max340
It doesnt skip 1 2 3 gears. It just feels like a 1234 skip and I let off.
It only skip in OD if I lean on the pedal to say pass hard. Not down shift to a gear and go. Its slips in OD. What do you think. I will check for codes tomorow and maybe change fluid also and filter. Let me know and Thanks!

G

·
If its not responding to a downshift situation, you should check the throttle cable and the governor solenoid and transducer.

To be honest, I've never heard anything described as a 1234 skip, so I'm not understanding what you mean on that issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well to better put it simple to understand.

If I'm cruising on the freeway on OD. If I lean into it alittle without it downshifting it will boost some and create some power then the OD slips some.

Is this better? Just some skipping at beggining but catches right away after it skips a couple times!

Thanks again!

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
Converter is slipping

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took off the Power Puck BOX and it doesnt slip now.
I think with the PUCK the timing gets advanced too soon in the RPM curve and the TC doesnt lock up fast enough so it slips. Is there a fix to this without redoing the entire transmission?

G

·
I took off the Power Puck BOX and it doesnt slip now.
I think with the PUCK the timing gets advanced too soon in the RPM curve and the TC doesnt lock up fast enough so it slips. Is there a fix to this without redoing the entire transmission?
Get a dual or triple disc Torque converter clutch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
slipping TCC

Have you done any mods to the valvebody?

If your tranny is stock the most eco way to get last a bit longer is ti increase pressure with Vb mods, like installing a shift kit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On the same note, if the TC is slipping or shuddering, is that enuf to throw a code? Or only if the clutch packs are slipping?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yup, that was my first thought. The TCC is the weakest link in this trans. It has the least surface area compared to the rest of the clutches, so it'll slip first out of all clutches applied in OD LU status.

That is an incorrect statement.
It has more area (converter clutch) than direct and forward clutches.
It slips because the pressure is marginal and /or leaks before it gets to the converter.
You also need to be sure it isn't electrical noise causing it to cycle the lock-up clutch.

G

·
That is an incorrect statement.
It has more area (converter clutch) than direct and forward clutches.
It slips because the pressure is marginal and /or leaks before it gets to the converter.
You also need to be sure it isn't electrical noise causing it to cycle the lock-up clutch.
The TCC on a stock converter is about 20-25 sq in. with on contact surface. The rear clutch, which carries power for all forward gears, has eight contact surfaces, and about 40-45 sq in. of surface area.

Pressure is marginal? Interesting, since the TC sees line pressure when the TCC is applied.

Interesting also is the fact that the TCC is applied not only by pressure on the converter side, but also because pressure is released from the friction side. As such, the "piston" that actuates the TCC has the same surface area on both sides. If for some reason the pressure equalizes, the clutch will slip. The pressure can equalize due to a bad seal on that "piston" (actually the front side of the TC) or if something blocks the bleed off or valve that allows the bleed off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well I tried running truck hard and towing withOUT PUCK box installed and no problems at all.
It seems to have some trouble only when cold tran temp and with PUCK installed.

I see that the PUCK adds power almost to rappid with little throttle applied which causes too quick advance on VP adding fuel too soon. LIke its not fine tuned. I would think with other chips its not like that. Maybe too much timing advance or too much fuel too soon not letting TC lock up on time I would assume.

So my question is which Valve Body should I buy and where and can I install my self and if not how much should I pay for install. ANythig else Ican change or upgrade while doing the VB shift kit.???

Thks again!

I think I wont put back PUCK box until VB installed upgrade trans.!To be safe$!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts