Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my truck is smokin from the clutch/tranny area. the clutch is soft and at higher rpms something is slapping around in there. any suggestions? i was thinkin a new clucth or possibly just throwout bearing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thank you. anybody got an extra clutch?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are to get a new clutch , get a aftermarket clutch....the original is a pieces of junk, I`m on my second one and I`m always nice and smooth with it. If you`re going to spend money on a new one get a good quality aftermarket clutch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, i just called my local shop and he told me $507 but im sure that was just a stock one

·
Registered
570 Posts
My buddy and I just rebuilt his NV and we put in a Valair kevlar/ceramic with the 3600# pressure plate and it is a VERY NICE clutch. $600

However if you're not going over 350HP the stock SACH Clutch is a good replacment. $400

·
Banned
400 Posts
...the original is a pieces of junk...
Yeah, that's why they've been known to go over 300k miles and outlast the truck in some cases. :rof

I suppose that's also why Sachs is one of the oldest, most respected makers of clutches and related parts in the business. :rof

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ikonoid, I would bet he's reffering to the 12.25" 94 and up stock clutch that really does SUCK!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Did I just Wake Up In the Wrong Forum?

Now that you mention it, the pic in his avatar does look lke a later model truck. Why do all these overvalvers feel the need to make useless comments in the 1st gen forums?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright guys, so today i get in the truck just to move it around the yard and the clucth is fine and tight and no smoke. what the hell?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
alright guys, so today i get in the truck just to move it around the yard and the clucth is fine and tight and no smoke. what the hell?
No Smoke = NO Friction Material :rof:rof

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a mechanic told me to check the fluid because its a hydraulic clucth, so i did and it was real brown and its supposed to be clear. so i drained the little resevoir out and refilled and its doin even better now. should i just replace it?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I'd just flush the lines, refill with new fluid and watch it for a week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thats what i was thinkin, there should be a bleed screw in the slave cylinder right? if i just pop that and let gravity bring it out and refill till i got all fresh fluid, mayby she will last a little longer

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
:thumbsup You got it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks man. ok so i did all that and now i have no clutch at all, is there air in the lines maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i pumped it till i got the stifness back and i took it out and it works good other that somethin rattlin when you let of the accelerator

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am guessing the clutch finally went out completely. If there was air in it it wouldn't disengage, meaning it would be on all the time
DS79

1 - 19 of 19 Posts