Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

My tranny went bad- complete loss of power to rear end. Extended warranty voided due to "modification" of plow install- even though the dealership I bought it from knew it was going to be used as a plow truck.

Option 1: Let the dealership install a factory tranny (& TC) with a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty for $3700 ( The truck is already there and I'm using a 3500 loaner for work purposes).

Option 2: Let a reputable tranny man install a BD TC and beef up the tranny for $3100.(12 mo/unl mileage) Would neccessitate a $150 tow bill and loss of loaner truck.

Option 3: Take it to tranny man who refuses to give an estimate on something he's never seen, but will look at it, then quote me. Has 12mo/12000mi standard warranty. Would also need to be towed 60 miles.

Thanks- I'll look back later - gotta go work some double shifts.

· It's got 12 Valves...
3,998 Posts
Well of those I would go with option 2...but if it was me I would go with option 4:

Go to Dave Goerends or another reputable Dodge Tranny builder and put in a great tranny that you will never have problems with again :thumbsup. A little more money but well worth every penny from what I hear. Goerends, DTT, HTS....all great trans :beer.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
call the people in my sig. For less than that price of option 1, i got a pretty tits tranny. I would also threaten them with a lawsuit, that'll make them reconsider.

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Calebs is right on. I like Option #4 too. First I'd hire a lawyer for 100 bucks just to call them and ask for the proof that the mod caused the failure. They may reconsider.

· Registered
751 Posts
Not sure what all is being done, but I would go aftermarket (Goerend, Suncoast, HTS, DTT, etc.)before I would go with OEM parts again. Price and performance will be better.

· Premium Member
1,785 Posts
REASEARCH your trannys, brandnames, cost, vs YOUR use for the truck.

There are MANY good trannys on the market today for your application. The reason I say RESEARCH is you dont want to go cheap in this area. It gets 3x more expensive in the long run.
When you find one you like, talk to those that already have it. Find out if / what they would do different next time. :thumbsup

G

·
Calebs is right on. I like Option #4 too. First I'd hire a lawyer for 100 bucks just to call them and ask for the proof that the mod caused the failure. They may reconsider.
Right :thumbsup Give those men a cookie.

There are laws that protect us against stuff like that. The law says they have to PROVE the mod caused the trans to fail.

I mean after all! It's snowing it's brains out in Montana right now. Right?

Push for option one. Get in the dealers face and don't be laid back about it.

Go get 'em

G

·
Right :thumbsup Give those men a cookie.

There are laws that protect us against stuff like that. The law says they have to PROVE the mod caused the trans to fail.

I mean after all! It's snowing it's brains out in Montana right now. Right?

Push for option one. Get in the dealers face and don't be laid back about it.

Go get 'em
Spoken like a true New Yawka! :rof

Everyone here is right about the warranty. I had the link on that at one time. But you can search for it in google. It's worth the 10 minutes to shove it into the service managers face.

I have another stupid question? How many trucks in Montana do not plow? I've been there. I felt out of place without the rifle rack and the plow frame. :w:

· Registered
442 Posts
My cousin had the same problem. His truck was under FACTORY warrenty and he put a plow on it. The trans went out and dodge would not replace it. Finally he got them to split the cost with him, i guess thats why he owns a dmax now

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
well my question would be if useing the truck for plowing voids the warranty, why does the operating manual tells you hoe to use the truck to plow? That is like saying if you tow trailer that voids your warranty! Dodge doesn't like paying for anything! You have to be very persistent and don't take no for an answer!

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
dealership cant void warrenty for plowing with your truck.

I think the OP said it was an extended warranty. While these are typuically purchased from the dealer, they are not covered by the dealer. It is from a separate company. In the fine print it will state--"Any modification made to the vehicle with other than OEM replacement parts will void the full warranty.":CRY:

Since this is not the manufacturers warranty it is not covered under the M&M act. I've fought this fight and it isn't winable.. Short story is don't buy extended warranties if you plan on modding your truck at all. It will be a waste of money that you could have used for a quality transmission.

· Registered
783 Posts
I like option 5! But really, that dealership ain't gonna help you. Why help them? They would take any chance they got to mess you over. And the mechanic in option 2 could prolly use the help. Option 3 sounds really good, too!

Robert

G

·
Ya they said his truck didnt have the snow plow prep package on it, which consists of a heavy duty altenator and transfer case skid plate. Which 99% of them come with it stock anyways

OH Bull $hit!

He's giving you a run around. Probably going to charge you and then run a warranty on it to get double pay.

The New Yorker way of getting things done is getting in his face. Don't walk out with your tail up your butt.

OK don't yell at the guy, actually talk softly and to the point. And just keep pestering him. No Satisfaction? Find the owner and start whinning.

So how many inches of snow have you gotten this July in Montana.

I'm curious to know what the failure is on the trans

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.