Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranny finally slipped today. I pulled out of a gas station and got on it pretty good to keep from gettin hit and it went for a second then the rmp's went through the roof. I've been running #5 on the smarty, should I turn it down or is it too late. Is this the first sign of destruction? Please help.:CRY::CRY::CRY:

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
yeah check your fluid and that will tell you everything.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, its too late. Baby it until you decide how you want the rebuild done.
thats not what i wanted to hear!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It flared up between shifts?

If you were accelerating out of a gas station I wouldn't think that it would've been locked up to begin with, which makes it hard for it to slip.

If you just drove through the stall, that should be perfectly repeatable.

If it flared up between shifts, check your bands. They go fast under increased power output, but you might be able to eek more life out of them if you adjust them. Or they might just be out of adjustment. Then again, adjusting them might just lower their life expectancy too...

·
Premium Member
18,679 Posts
hey suncoast has a good rebuild kit for your truck. it's all red eagle parts and a lot more beefed up than the stock one. it wouldn't hurt to get a new converter too. i pretty much did the same thing last month. i added the tow/haul valve body when i called ATS to get my torque converter. shop arround a little bit and see what fits your budget and your needs for you use.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Are you sure it was in Drive? Has it done it again? Once on my 96 I failed to pull it all the way into Drive. The selector indicated D but the transmission input was actually between Drive and Neutral. It gave the symptoms you mentioned.

G

·
It flared up between shifts?

If you were accelerating out of a gas station I wouldn't think that it would've been locked up to begin with, which makes it hard for it to slip.

If you just drove through the stall, that should be perfectly repeatable.

If it flared up between shifts, check your bands. They go fast under increased power output, but you might be able to eek more life out of them if you adjust them. Or they might just be out of adjustment. Then again, adjusting them might just lower their life expectancy too...
Lockup isn't the only time the trans can slip.

Driving through a "stall" requires the brakes to be applied, or a significant load placed on the truck.

Flaring up between shifts could be the front band on the 1-2 shift, or the 3-2 kickdown. It could also be the rear clutch in the main trans housing.

Typically, the band won't produce a "flare" as much as a delayed shift. "Flaring" is usually the result of a clutch attempting to lock but failing to do so. The bands can hold even if the friction material is stripped off, so long as its adjusted correctly. The band would have to be bare metal and almost loose to not hold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts