Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So overall, the tranny seems pretty good. But if I am accelerating at about 1/3 throttle or more as it shifts into overdrive, it tries to go in, jumps back to drive and then drops in positively. All in about a second. Any of your guys ever had this? Not sure if its normal, actually pretty sure its not. It won't do it under light acceleration. Really wierd but I still got warranty so I want to get it in sooner than later. Let me know what ya think?

·
Registered
96 Posts
good question. mine has done that to a few times. hopefully someone else who knows more about these trannys will chime in here!

·
Registered
520 Posts
tc

it was described to me by a dodge tech that term is torque converter shutter, and usually means you will be needing one soon..

of course for me we had that conversation 40,000 miles ago and mine is still holding up (knock on wood):lol3:

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
So overall, the tranny seems pretty good. But if I am accelerating at about 1/3 throttle or more as it shifts into overdrive, it tries to go in, jumps back to drive and then drops in positively. All in about a second. Any of your guys ever had this? Not sure if its normal, actually pretty sure its not. It won't do it under light acceleration. Really wierd but I still got warranty so I want to get it in sooner than later. Let me know what ya think?
Since you have warranty, take it to dealer and complain about shuttle shift. They should do a TSB and replace governor solenoid and transducer.

If that doesn't fix it, there are a couple shift controllers that help sometimes and a shift kit is always a good step.

·
Registered
220 Posts
mine does the same thing , will they fix that under warranty?

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
mine does the same thing , will they fix that under warranty?
Yes, if you complain loud enough and long enough they should do the TSB and cover it under warranty. Depends on the dealer so hold their feet to the fire on it if they kick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
what about adjusting the bands in the trans when you get a trans flush? is that good or bad? would that help, cuz thats what the owners manual recommends.

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
what about adjusting the bands in the trans when you get a trans flush? is that good or bad? would that help, cuz thats what the owners manual recommends.
Its entirely possible. The band adjustment from the factory is not always that good.

If it is a gov solenoid problem adjusting the bands will generally make it worse on the 2-3 shift.

However, there are no bands in the equation when OD is demanded. Thats purely an ECU thing and it won't shif tto OD until it is in drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts