Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 3500 with an automatic trans, I just changed the trans fluid and put a fresh filter in it. I have 32K miles and the truck has never towed anything heavy. When I am driving and not hard on the gas, it feels like the trans bounces between first and second gear a couple of times before shifting into second. If I am hard on the gas it doesn't do. Any help would be appriciated, and any other trans info would be nice as i have heard of the nightmares about dodge transmissions.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
There is a TSB that has to do with the Transmission searching for second in low RPMs. Just call your local dealer and have them do this TSB. This is from another post on another thread:

TSB #21-009-07

SUBJECT:
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the governor pressure solenoid valve in the
transmission valve body.
MODELS:
2004 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck (2500/3500)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application.
This condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan (Note: Original pan
gasket is reusable and should not require
replacement).
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan
gasket for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to
the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old governor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
NUMBER: 21-009-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: May 24, 2007
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve
body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the
transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).
Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor
1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
21-96-05-90 Valve, Transmission Governor
Pressure Solenoid - Replace (B)
0.7 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
21-009-07 -2-

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this something i can take to dodge and tell them what its doin and they can fix it or do they just say nothings wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Yes you can just take it to a dealer and you need to just tell them you want that particular TSB done because your tranny is hunting for 2nd in low rpms.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know if your truck has adjustable bands or not. When I service the trans in my brother-in-laws '03 I always adjust the bands too. He says he can feel the difference in shift quality and firmness instantly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
48re trans

I have a 2500 diesel that when it gets up to temp the trans will not want to shift into 2nd until you hit 2500 rpms or so and ony when you are going in a 25 mile per hour or so and the same for 3rd gear also , have 40,000 on it trans oil changed at about 38,000 and did it before also, any ideas

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the same prob with my 03. I took it in after I smoked the stock tranny an had new VB, TQ, OP-shaft, an my truck still does it. It has to do with a TPS prob with all CR an newer. If you search there are more post that state the same thing. :peelout.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just had the TSB repair done to my 05 and had the bands adjusted too. Fixed the shift hunt and firmed up the shifts as well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
fixed mine myslef, b/c of the mods i have done, and now with less then 10k its back again.............:sad2

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think mine is starting to come back. I am going with an aftermarket valve body and torque converter to tighten up the trans

·
Registered
115 Posts
help needed

My truck will take couple of seconds to react and start moving when shifted on reverse, this is happening typically if the truck has not been driven for a few days, also the tranny feels erratic sometimes when going low rpm's. Has anyone have encountered the same problems?, Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the converter is leaking down. Try holding your foot on the brake, shift it into drive, wait a second, then to nuetral and wait a second then into reverse and backk into drive. Each time you do this you should the trans shift into gear harder. If i leave mine sit over night or for maybe 2 nights it doesnt want to move. I do this every morning regardless if it feels like it needs it or not. A bad converter can reek havoc on the trans. Fill out your sig and it will help see if anything is done to your trans that will help pinpoint this a little more. I suggest a aftermarket torque converter and valve body. I am gonna do this as soon as i get a little extra cash

·
Registered
375 Posts
i bought a used 05 a couple of months ago. i noticed that the trans does the same thing as the first post. can i get the TSB fix for free or will they charge me being since i bought it used from an individual??

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am guessin its out of warranty so they will most likely charge for it. On the first page of this post there is a step-by-step procedure for this. It has the part number for the solenoid right on it. You do not need the gasket, you can reuse your old one. I would get a trans filter and replace that since you will be in there too and then the fluid.

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks.

i thought there was a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty or something?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the only part of the warranty that runs to 100,000 is the cummins engine. I think that only pertains to new 07's and 08's. Which i think its still called powertrain, but or course thats not the drivetrain. Its all a joke, and it is pretty easy to do, but anyways i hope this helps

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks, i will try to get to it in the next few weeks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts