Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the big vendors for transmissions have any sort of financing? I really dont have 3-5k to drop on a tranny at once but may be able to do financing.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Tough crowd.

I'm guessing you'd be better off putting it on a credit card than using whatever financing they'd be able to offer.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
i doubt it

you could get a personal loan at a bank

but I might suggest a priority check.........dont get mad just an honest suggestion

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dtt will put you on a payment plan but you won't get the trans till you've paid them all the money

Johnnybots phone

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If the truck is paid for you could take a loan out on it to cover the cost, or get a personal loan from a bank or credit union.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yep a credit card or title loan

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unless your transmission is currently blown, a giant piggy bank at home may in-fact be your best option! I'd guess that financing something like a transmission through a repair shop (if such financing is even available) would probably cost as much as putting it on a credit card, and a few interest payments here and there quickly start to add up.

But, that doesn't really answer your question so much as it reveals my personal bias. I worked as a banker (loan officer) for a few years after graduating college. During my time on that job I handled the sales and processing of a variety of loan/mortgage products, and I began to see how buried people became in their debts. As such, I try to live my life as debt-free as possible, and I only currently carry a 1st mortgage on my house, without other debts.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of options if you really do want (or need) to go the financing route:

1) Credit Card: high interest

2) Personal signature loan at the bank: also high interest, due to their unsecured nature. If they don't have collateral from you, you won't get the best rate

3) Title loan: high interest, short repayment periods, and you risk losing your collateral - your truck, if you are unable to repay the loan. Most of these loans have terms that don't make them very favorable, but they can sometimes be an only option for someone who is in a bind, and has bad credit.

4) Home Equity Loans / Home Equity Lines of Credit: If you own a house and have some equity in that property, you can often take out a loan or open a line of credit against that equity. These loans typically give you the best interest rate out of all of these options, but that attractive financing comes with a serious caveat: your home is the collateral on that loan!

With a Home Equity Loan you will receive a loan for a specific amount of money, whereas a Home Equity Line of Credit will often provide you with credit card like convenience by giving you the ability to spend any amount of money up to the amount that was authorized for your line of credit --- you can spend, pay it back, spend some more, etc. But, those expenditures are secured by your home.

I've sold a lot of these loans in the past, and I've seen them work really well for very financially responsible people, and I've seen less cautious spenders put themselves in a whole heap of trouble by throwing away their home's equity for the sake of vacations, shopping trips, etc. If you go this route, please just remember that a home's equity is (in many ways) the greatest nest egg a person has!

Reactions: TEX

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions...I know I have to play to pay (and these trucks will definately make you pay) so no geo metro for me. Heck, when I got back from my honeymoon I had work to do on it. I would drive a geo metro to commute to work and back though.

I do not want a credit card and the truck is payed off so I could get a loan through it. A personal loan for the bank is an option as I have already looked into this.

My tranny isnt gone yet but feel it might not last to much longer. Revmax sells there trannies on ebay and I think i could bill me later on that and then just pay on it until its payed off with no interest.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i doubt it

you could get a personal loan at a bank

but I might suggest a priority check.........dont get mad just an honest suggestion
truth hurts sometimes...lol. But a tranny is not on my priority list right now as mine is decent. Im just preparing in case it goes out. I dont have any debt other than $270 left on my school loan which will be payed off shortly. I dont own a house, i rent (which is kinda like debt in a way) and no truck payment.

·
Banned
8,193 Posts
id be careful with the revmax trannys ive read some bad stuff about them burning up with no notice. If you're gonna do it you should do it right the first time and call Goreand, DTT, or Suncoast. that way your not asking the same question again in a years time, and out the thousands you spent on the first tranny.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Typically when these high performance transmissions blow is usually due to operator abuse. If its man made its going to break . Wichever one you choose, get it for its warranty.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
i used the DTT payment plan, and when my last payment was done the trans was out the door the next day.

My advice is its not that bad, talk to Stephan and usually they can help you out with some kind of deal, i know every year they do a tax sale so who knows what he has up his sleeves for this year.

·
Purple Heart Veteren
43 Posts
I would defently second the Goerend trans over an Ebay Trans, Warranty!!!
Another option is you could build yourself, and by the parts alittle at a time, then when you have it all pull it and rebuild it. I did mine in a weekend, pulled it Fri and was driving it Sun afternoon. Easy to rebuild!! and dont fall for all the hype over billet parts other than the input shaft, only go billet on the rest if you plan on dragging with boosted launches, or sled pulling! Also dont fall for the extra clutch hype, inorder to get them in they have to put in thinner clutches and plates, I built mine with a triple disc converter and valve body from Goerend and a G2 kit that has everything for $3400.00, $1050 was for the converter, and 670.00 was for the VB. the rest for the kit and extra deep pan. It works awesome now!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
truth hurts sometimes...lol. But a tranny is not on my priority list right now as mine is decent. Im just preparing in case it goes out. I dont have any debt other than $270 left on my school loan which will be payed off shortly. I dont own a house, i rent (which is kinda like debt in a way) and no truck payment.
Then treat the transmission rebuild as a debit! Start a savings account and put a set amount in each pay period. Decide on a time frame when you want to do the rebuild and determine what your desired level of build will cost and make that your minimum payment on that debit.

This will save the hassle and worry of owing on your transmission.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I would defently second the Goerend trans over an Ebay Trans, Warranty!!!
Another option is you could build yourself, and by the parts alittle at a time, then when you have it all pull it and rebuild it. I did mine in a weekend, pulled it Fri and was driving it Sun afternoon. Easy to rebuild!! and dont fall for all the hype over billet parts other than the input shaft, only go billet on the rest if you plan on dragging with boosted launches, or sled pulling! Also dont fall for the extra clutch hype, inorder to get them in they have to put in thinner clutches and plates, I built mine with a triple disc converter and valve body from Goerend and a G2 kit that has everything for $3400.00, $1050 was for the converter, and 670.00 was for the VB. the rest for the kit and extra deep pan. It works awesome now!
Just because its sold on ebay, doesn't make it an ebay trans. Reputable sellers/builders have a lot of stuff for sale on there.

Reactions: bigdodge25

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just because its sold on ebay, doesn't make it an ebay trans. Reputable sellers/builders have a lot of stuff for sale on there.
Very true...BD sells on ebay, revmax sells on ebay....revmax is a pretty reliable company i see by post of many people on hear. But if they could be garbage after a year also.

Just cause its on ebay does mean it doesnt have a warranty when its from a reputable company.

·
Banned
2,139 Posts
id be careful with the revmax trannys ive read some bad stuff about them burning up with no notice. If you're gonna do it you should do it right the first time and call Goreand, DTT, or Suncoast. that way your not asking the same question again in a years time, and out the thousands you spent on the first tranny.
Hey there, not sure where you heard this nonsense from, but we have had ZERO failures on ANY of our transmissions!! In fact, I know pretty much each one of my transmission customers by name, so this is totally FALSE!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.