Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searched and learned some good info but have a couple specific questions.

Service manual says to remove starter and crankshaft position sensor. Do I really need to do this? I saw that people do not always remove them.

Second does the TTVA need to come all the way off or can I just rotate to disconnect the wire and then leave it on?

Other than that I think I am good to go as soon as my parts show up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
No starter does not need to come off.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
starter doesn't need to come off but a barring tool makes it easier to turn the engine over to r&r TC bolts.
available here Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine Barring Tool-Geno's Garage
and some auto parts stores or online.
might consider taking the ttva off just so you don't bang it on anything and break it.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
forgot to mention.
assuming you have a 4x4 take the trans case off first just makes it that much smaller/lighter less to wrestle around.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
No, don't need to remove start or crank sensor.

Don't need to remove TTVA.

I always drop with t-case on, but install with the t-case off. If you're doing it on the ground, put a big chunk of cardboard down and lay the trans on that when it's out; it slides much easier. You'll need to jack up one side (depending on lifted or not) to clear the frame if you have a deep pan.

Honestly it's a pretty simple job when you get in there. I find jacking on the front driveshaft helps to separate it from the t-case output, beats wailing on it with a hammer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

Luckily I have access to a shop with a lift and tools. Gotta love the auto hobby shop on a military base. Too bad budget cuts are shutting a lot of them down.

So you jack "up" or towards the front of the truck? Do they just rust on or is there something else there I can break?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts