Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Every situation is different, and it's sometimes physically impossible to use the best tie-down method.
Still, to tie to unsprung parts is kinder both to the vehicle and to the trailer, minimizing shock loads for both.

To say that "They can't vibrate or bounce off that way" is a stretch, I think. Of course, I'm not sure if you're referring to the straps or the load there.

Again, I have seen too many instances where a J-hook strap has come off when tied to sprung parts . All it takes is one big bump too many.
At least with a clip hook, the strap can't disappear or become completely useless.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When I trailered my bike, there was no unsprung parts to tie off of. I tied off the forks and compressed them down about half way. Tied off the sprung shock mounts (sort of) in the rear.

Noticed it kept tension on the straps at all times and would let the straps vibrate or bounce off.

While I'm certainly no professional, I don't see a problem tying off of sprung parts as long as you keep some tension on the strap. IOW, force the suspension down. Keep upward pressure on the straps. They can't vibrate or bounce off that way.

OTOH, I could be wrong. I'm married so I'm used to being wrong about almost everything
No that’s a suitable way to tie down a bike compress the suspension and use a good strap. It’s not so much it bouncing off as it is shocking the tie down and it failing. Seen straps bust in half. Seen 1/2” and 3/8” transport grade chain, literally split from that. On something large, I will block to the frame to avoid chaining to a spring part.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Or you are towing some rez rocket and the tires go flat and then your tie downs flop off.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,331 Posts
Wow. a towing thread where nobody has said someone needs a CDL. Impressive.

To the OP, call around asking for an equipment trailer, usually the more local equipment rental places will have them and rent them out for under $100 a day or less. I am surprised United didn't have one, i've rented them form United before up here. Being that you are securing a ford truck, you can easily tie down to the axles, i have a set of these and love them. You can wrap them around the axle or through the tire/rim

When asking for a trailer tell them you need a 10k equipment trailer with ramps, i would stay away from split decks personally. a full tilt deck will also be a PITA with a non-op truck. Been there done that. As stated, Home Depot is the best place for straps, get 4 of them. Tie down each corner in a manner that independently secures the vehicle. Do not use one side to pull the other side tight, each strap should be doing it's job, and not tightening another strap. Using 4 of them there is a safety margin, if one strap fails you don't want it to loosen up any of the other straps. You should be able to have 2 fail and the truck still be secured. (although you will want to stop and re-secure and readjust your securement method if one or more fail) Your goal is securing the vehicle should be that in the event of an emergency (panic braking, or someone pulls out in front of you and you t-bone them on the highway, ect ect) the vehicle on the trailer should not move on the deck of the trailer.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
When I trailered my bike, there was no unsprung parts to tie off of. I tied off the forks and compressed them down about half way. Tied off the sprung shock mounts (sort of) in the rear.

Noticed it kept tension on the straps at all times and would let the straps vibrate or bounce off.

While I'm certainly no professional, I don't see a problem tying off of sprung parts as long as you keep some tension on the strap. IOW, force the suspension down. Keep upward pressure on the straps. They can't vibrate or bounce off that way.

OTOH, I could be wrong. I'm married so I'm used to being wrong about almost everything
You are Not wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was going to add a comment and pic on my vehicle hauling experience but was reminded that this was a trailer renting thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
So pretend that you rented the trailer. The principles are still the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been driving class 1 for 20 years. You couldnt put a trailer were my monstrosity can go.

Do you think i have a sky hook to put it on there? Backing up is easy
I was pointing out how it was tied down.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Been driving class 1 for 20 years. You couldnt put a trailer were my monstrosity can go
Those 2 sentences contradict each other lol it isn’t an Alberta plate I see hiding is it?
I have taken my 8 axle lowbed loaded where a 1/2 ton and car hauler wouldn’t lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
What i meant was the whole rig has been up and down logging roads and bush trails with washed out bridges and the way the sxs is tied down wont budge. By the wheels.
And yes it's an Alberta plate.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
By the wheels.
But, but...wouldn't something (ideally chains) around some unsprung parts be better?
At the very least, use J-hook straps from Harbor Freight instead of those fancy clip hook straps. If those are Mac's they may even exceed the standard WLL, and for real.
Jeez.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Theres a couple of constants in this world and never-ending arguments over load/vehicle securement is one of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Didn’t read all 3 pages, post got lost somewhere early.
OP I transport cars for a living. From where to where does the truck need to go? Could be easier to have it shipped

G56 truck with 3.42s 💪

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Call equipment rental outfits like United, Sunbelt, HERC, etc. Not moving companies.

Reactions: akhr
41 - 56 of 56 Posts