Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
Are you sure? Even good ones, costing much more, usually only have a 3,333-lb. WLL.
Yes, 10K rated with a WLL of 3333.
With 4 on the truck, well withing their limits.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
I'm really not fond of those J-hooks, having seen too many come loose. Usually when people tie to sprung parts of the vehicle.
I much prefer the hooks with clips.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm really not fond of those J-hooks, having seen too many come loose. Usually when people tie to sprung parts of the vehicle.
Have watched plenty break as well.

I also wouldn’t tie a truck down around the tire that way. The strap could easily slip up and over the tire. And no I don’t care that it didn’t on that trip.

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
Have watched plenty break as well.

I also wouldn’t tie a truck down around the tire that way. The strap could easily slip up and over the tire. And no I don’t care that it didn’t on that trip.
I don't care that you don't care, plus you're wrong.
The way we had the straps looped and crossed over the tire, there was no way they could slip on the tire. That trailer could flip over and the truck not come loose. Between me and my dad, we've got over 70 years combined experience with load securement.

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
You should never tie straps to sprung parts, recipe for disaster. Straps were only on tires/wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have assorted straps, chains, and binders. I generally prefer chains to the axle when I’ve moved cars before, but I have seen auto transporters and tow companies with straps looped over the tires before.

Those straps from Home Depot are a steal, the similar set I have (maybe “keeper” brand) I know I paid far more for.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't care that you don't care, plus you're wrong.
The way we had the straps looped and crossed over the tire, there was no way they could slip on the tire. That trailer could flip over and the truck not come loose. Between me and my dad, we've got over 70 years combined experience with load securement.
Good for you I guess. I think your wrong.

Seen lifelong truck drivers not know how to backup, tie down or the rules of the road. Time spent doing something doesn’t count for good experience if effort to do something. With all your years experience, how come you don’t own chains or straps? I’ve got piles on my shelf even from growing up. Let alone the amount I’ve collected of the last 6 years in heavy haul and deck work.

My dads only been in this for.... 45 ish years. So I guess me an him don’t make 70.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
This reminded me of a conversation with a welder a couple of years ago.

He said "I've been doing it this way for 40 years". To which I replied "It's not my fault you've been doing it wrong."
It took a few seconds before he also started laughing.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
I generally prefer chains to the axle when I’ve moved cars before...
But nearly every wrecker driver on the road does.
Not only does most vehicles have brake lines and other stuff on the axles, making it nearly impossible not to damage something with chains to the axle, but modern vehicles are usually too low to get a straight shot to an axle anyway.
And that's if they even have live axles.

I have become a huge fan of wheel nets and lasso straps, because unlike many wrecker operators, I care about the vehicles I trailer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the light duty 7000lb car trailer.
Use it more for moving "stuff" as apposed to cars and trucks.
Straps over the tires as pictured earlier is fine.
So is axle or frame attachments as a wrecker operator would do.
And we had Chinese food for supper last night. :)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I’m not disagreeing with you, But nearly every wrecker driver on the road does.
Would you treat your personal property the way a wrecker driver does? I’ve watched wrecks loaded so crooked they hung over both sides of the ramp. The troopers turn their heads because in order to get towing rights you’ve got to have better connections than a trooper can deal with.
It’s why wheel and tire tiedowns were created. Watch a race hauler load and cinch his car.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry guys, is there we insert a picture of a pedicure or a plate of food?

While only towing things since the late 90's, have used chains in and around frame rails, axles but the best was wheel nets. Hands down easiest way to tie down something automotive. Mind you tractors and other peices of equipment were a bit more forgiving on how you strapped them on.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

While only towing things since the late 90's, have used chains in and around frame rails, axles but the best was wheel nets. Hands down easiest way to tie down something automotive. Mind you tractors and other peices of equipment were a bit more forgiving on how you strapped them on.
If you are gonna be towing a vehicle, wheel nets are ideal. Any vehicles on my deck or lowbed, are usually high work trucks. I can chain them properly around the axles.

The truck above most likely stayed in one spot because it weighs 8k and was in park. The more I think about how it was strapped, I’m amazed someone thinks that’s ok. If you can’t put the vehicle in neutral and tow it on a rough, windy road, it’s not secure. And if that truck was in neutral it would have popped those straps off.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Sorry almost forgot.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That floor is pretty dirty for socks, eh ?
That’s 1994 floor lol I literally shampooed the floor on Sunday. But I did take my shoe off for the photo.
I’m graveling today so nothing stays clean.

I’ll wear socks on the hwy if I can stay clean. And usually put towel down

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
When I trailered my bike, there was no unsprung parts to tie off of. I tied off the forks and compressed them down about half way. Tied off the sprung shock mounts (sort of) in the rear.

Noticed it kept tension on the straps at all times and would let the straps vibrate or bounce off.

While I'm certainly no professional, I don't see a problem tying off of sprung parts as long as you keep some tension on the strap. IOW, force the suspension down. Keep upward pressure on the straps. They can't vibrate or bounce off that way.

OTOH, I could be wrong. I'm married so I'm used to being wrong about almost everything

21 - 40 of 56 Posts