Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....So this isn't really cummins related, but you guys usually have some pretty good input.

In the near future I’ll need to move one of our F350’s (srw reg cab long bed 7.3) that is currently not running roughly 500miles.

If I had to guess the curb weight is around 6k... of course I currently don’t own an equipment trailer.

So I called around to uhaul, Penske, etc... uhaul was the only one who bothered to answer the phone. I always assumed they had more then one size car hauler, they don’t. The lady on the phone was super friendly but clearly didn’t understand my concern of being overweight, she basically said if it fits it ships, insisting that pickup trucks have been on their trailers before...

I tried several other tool rental companies (United, sunbelt) they didn’t have anything up to the task either..

Any other suggestions of where to rent a heavier trailer, ideally for a one way trip. The trucks currently in central va.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Uhaul's car trailer specs state max capacity on their car trailer is 5290lbs
so no, your reg cab 4x4 diesel won't legally fit.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i do know a big tex dealer down here by me rents just about every model of trailer they have. i'm not sure if it's a franchise/location thing or if they all do that?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
maybe sit around classifieds, see if you can buy one for a great deal and possibly flip it?

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
....So this isn't really cummins related, but you guys usually have some pretty good input.

In the near future I’ll need to move one of our F350’s (srw reg cab long bed 7.3) that is currently not running roughly 500miles.

If I had to guess the curb weight is around 6k... of course I currently don’t own an equipment trailer.

So I called around to uhaul, Penske, etc... uhaul was the only one who bothered to answer the phone. I always assumed they had more then one size car hauler, they don’t. The lady on the phone was super friendly but clearly didn’t understand my concern of being overweight, she basically said if it fits it ships, insisting that pickup trucks have been on their trailers before...

I tried several other tool rental companies (United, sunbelt) they didn’t have anything up to the task either..

Any other suggestions of where to rent a heavier trailer, ideally for a one way trip. The trucks currently in central va.
No idea what trailer companies are near you, but when my truck was down and I had to go pick it up and haul it home, the Big Tex trailer dealer in Houston had a 20' equipment trailer that I rented for $99 a day.

Anyway, I would just google "Equipment trailer rental" for whatever big city you live near.

You'll also need a bunch of tie down straps, I used one or each tire, plus a couple for each of the folding ramps because they wouldn't fold up once the truck was loaded.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Some people buy the trailer they need, get it to where they're going and sell it.

I've been told it's cheaper than renting one in some circumstances. But I think that might be for multiple trips for longer periods of time.

Finding a 7500# capacity car hauler to rent really should be that tough

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
Some people buy the trailer they need, get it to where they're going and sell it.

I've been told it's cheaper than renting one in some circumstances. But I think that might be for multiple trips for longer periods of time.

Finding a 7500# capacity car hauler to rent really should be that tough
You won't find a car hauler that heavy, but you can find equipment trailers.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You won't find a car hauler that heavy, but you can find equipment trailers.
That's the hot tip. Never really thought about it. Should have. But didn't.

How about 20+ foot enclosed trailers? Same thing?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you’ve got the money. Buy yourself a 18’ with slide in ramps(slide in the side), and 5200lb axles. Prob one of the most used pieces I own. Thought I didn’t have a need until I got one.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Makes it tricky to tie down correctly, and even getting out of the vehicle once it's in the trailer.
Well, I was thinking about for moving furniture and stuff.

But my brother had an enclosed trailer for his race car and we mounted a 2,000lb winch in the front and pulled the car into the trailer.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
If you’ve got the money. Buy yourself a 18’ with slide in ramps(slide in the side), and 5200lb axles. Prob one of the most used pieces I own. Thought I didn’t have a need until I got one.
Was thinking about that at one time. I prefer the ones without the side rails, the NOT landscaping trailer.

If you need to load something from the side and you don't have the removable racks...... No thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Was thinking about that at one time. I prefer the ones without the side rails, the NOT landscaping trailer.

If you need to load something from the side and you don't have the removable racks...... No thanks.

This is my trailer basically. I have full rub rail and aluminum diamond plate fenders(removable). The ramps are nice that they hide in the side. Sliding in the back is annoying and for some reason the ones I have used that slide in the back, the ramps get rocks jammed in. I’ve never had that issue and I live down gravel.

It also has 2 jacks in the rear for heavy trucks or what have you, not letting the hitch come up. It’s been good.

And yes jimmy full means full. Lol and fully welded.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
But my brother had an enclosed trailer for his race car and we mounted a 2,000lb winch in the front and pulled the car into the trailer.
For what could be a one time use, the winch idea isn't overly practical. Just like getting a trailer with the appropriate side door and E-track on the floor (plus the more uncommon tie-downs to go with it) probably isn't the ideal solution, either.

By the way, like Aburdett, I use my 18' PJ (equipped like his) a lot. Most of all my trailers, actually.
But mine's a gooseneck, since I'm sick and tired of bumper pull trailers.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
For what could be a one time use, the winch idea isn't overly practical. Just like getting a trailer with the appropriate side door and E-track on the floor (plus the more uncommon tie-downs to go with it) probably isn't the ideal solution, either.

By the way, like Aburdett, I use my 18' PJ (equipped like his) a lot. Most of all my trailers, actually.
But mine's a gooseneck, since I'm sick and tired of bumper pull trailers.
If I didn’t have the larger tandem dually gn, I would have loved having my pj in a gn form. But since I have both, I do like that the box is free.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ll be calling around to some dealers in the morning I never realized they rent trailers.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I’ll be calling around to some dealers in the morning I never realized they rent trailers.
Don't forget the straps. I bought mine from home depot, they are 2 inch ratchet straps 20 ft long 10K working load and they were only $8 each. I just made a loop in each one and looped them over the top of the tires and hooked them to the side rails/pockets of the trailer, truck never moved a bit going down the road.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
I bought mine from home depot, they are 2 inch ratchet straps 20 ft long 10K working load and they were only $8 each.
Are you sure? Even good ones, costing much more, usually only have a 3,333-lb. WLL.

Reactions: 7492
1 - 20 of 56 Posts