Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trailer lights not working?

3638 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  jk6140
Ok my trailer lights are working but the tail lights do not come on with the running lamps. I have brake light and turn signal just no running light.? Whats the deal? I have not messed with it yet to see. The only thing that I can think is the wire in the plug came loose since everything else is working fine. What are your opinions?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
My 02 Chevy (before I got my real truck) had seperate fuses under the hood for all the trailer lights: running lights, brake lights, rt turn, left turn. It did the same thing all the other lights worked, but the running lights. It turned out to be the fuse under the hood. I have not looked on my dodge yet.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in Watson Lake BC right now nothing much here but tomorrow before we push out I will look for some fuses. Everything was working fine, I had a light out and could not figure which bulbs to get so I bought a pair put one in, in the parking lot worked and drove 300 miles and now running lights are not working. I checked all connections everything seemed fine but cleaned them up a bit just in case and they are still not working. Maybe the bulbs I got blew a fuse thats all I can hope for. Then I just need to figure out what bulbs I need and a fuse.
Can anyone shed some more light on this fuse thing for me?

· Registered
128 Posts
Open the fuse box under your hood. Look down the list for trailer lights or running lights. You most likely have a fuse blown in there. I blow them whenever I tow the car hauler for some reason. I just have never bothered to track down the short. I just keep tons of spare fuses in the truck.

· Registered
103 Posts
I used to blow the fuse under the hood in my 02 3500. All it takes is for a wire inside the plug to short out or one to get skinned under the trailer somewhere and touch some metal.
I sell trailers for a living and the best investment I have made is the little tester that plugs into your truck plug. It lets you know whether to start trouble shooting the truck or the trailer.

This little tester helps me convince the customer that his TRUCK IS ThE PROBLEM and not the new trailer that I just sold him.:T:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.