Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tandem axle trailer for my track car.
I keep seeing trailers with brakes on one axle, not both.

Why do they only put brakes on one axle?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
most likey the gvw of the trailer is under what 1 brake sets rating. If the mounts are on the axle, adding brakes is not hard and not too expensive

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are trailer brakes standard? I don't wanna have to be special ordering two different sets of brake shoes and drums...

I mean, say I get a used 1990's trailer and then I get a new set of brakes for the second axle... Am I gonna have to buy 1990 style shoes and a set of 2011 shoes?

How do you buy trailer brakes anyhow. Some people build trailers using axles from different sources... How do I know what year/make/model those axles came from?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trailer brakes are required on each axle when the trailers over 3000 GVWR in my state (OK). Other states may be 2000 GVWR. ODOT has been hammering construction types that bought a tripple axle trailer that the trailer came with two axle braking. DOT says its the operators responsibility that the trailer comply with state regs. Bad situation for the novice hauler.
I just sold a 16' X 82" with 3500 lb tandam axle utlity trailer rated for 2950 GVWR with one axle braking.
I though about adding brakes to the other axle but two 3500 lb axles just wasn't big enough for my 8400 lb tractor/fel/7' mower.
The new trailer has 5200 lb axle with a 10k GVWR and braking on both axles. the trailer loaded is 9600 lbs and the trailer brakes will stop the truck and trailer (normal stop sign). Great feeling.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Are trailer brakes standard? I don't wanna have to be special ordering two different sets of brake shoes and drums...
Find out who made the axles. Dexter? Alko? Whoever is supplying the axles to the trailer manufacturers is likely also be supplying the brake hardware with them.....

·
Registered
906 Posts
its simple on this for a track car you need only brakes on the firstaxle and they are cheap 60 dollars per wheel or so
there is a 4 or a 5 bolt pattern backing plate or a universal pattern any way get the one that fits and there is a ten inch drum and a twelve inch drum if you tow with a three quarter ton truck or better and your brake control is in good adjustment this is all you will need

if you use the trailer for other things - like bricks or sand or a pile of rock
then equip both axles with the same backing plate which will include the whole thing; shoes, springs energizer and wiring

·
Registered
906 Posts
for a track car one axle the front axle is enough braking with a tow rig that is a truck.

both axles is overkill and expense you don't need
how often will you tow the car 2x per week in the summer ? if its a dedicated trailer the braking of one axle will get you through if its the front axle tha has the brakes

more important is the springs and the bushings

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if I'm buying a trailer, I kinda wanna use it to haul other crap as well. Trailers are expensive and I don't have the space for both a utility trailer and a car trailer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
oops looks like i double posted last nite while drinking
lput brakes on both axles they can be quite inexpensive

·
Registered
648 Posts
If the manufacturer only puts brakes on one axle, find a different manufacturer.

In MN, anything over 1K must have brakes on all axles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts