Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to describe this as best I can. First off, I have pulled 9 different trailers now. All brand new. All have 4 wheel electric brakes.

I have adjusted the brake controller from 0 to 10. The higher the number, the stronger the brakes are. However, With the controller adjusted to 10, if I apply the trailer brakes using the slide on the controller, they grab hard, and the digital readout on the controller reads 99, which I'm guessing means fully engaged. If I apply the brakes using the brake pedal, it feels like the trailer is going to run over me and the readout only goes to 30. Regardless of how hard I apply the pedal. Also, if I select the trailer brake readout on the EVIC, There is a little bar that shows the amount of trailer brake being applied. Using the slider, the bar shows full application. Using the brake pedal, the bar seems to pulse on and off between 0 and maybe 25%. It never goes to full.

Is this normal for this brake controller? My last truck had an aftermarket controller and I had no problem adjusting it high enough to jerk my truck to a stop. This one, I can't even get the trailer to slow me down at all.

I pulled a 10,000lb trailer down Donner Pass in California yesterday and really thought I didn't have any trailer brakes at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im glad someone mentioned this as im experiencing the exact same thing. It seemed to work great when the truck was brand new but 5 months and 17500 miles later it hardly works at all.I took it to the dealer and explained what it was doing. The response was oh its you the operator or your trailer. So i hooked up to my fithwheel and my horse trailer so three different trailers and it does the same thing with each one. I cant figure it out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!! My brake does exactly the same thing. I thought I was doing something wrong also. Aftermarket works great on the same trailer:confused013: Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel the same way, I usually use the hand controller if I have to stop in a hurry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just pulled the tractor home from a job site today on my flat bed trailer and my brakes on it wouldnt work... at all i could hit the pedal on time and it work just fine, then the next 2 or 3 presses it would come up there was not a trailer pluged in. Pulled over plug it and unplug it a time or two crawled under the truck and all that. Thought it was in my trailer so when I got home i tried my dump trailer and my box trailer.. same on all of them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i could hit the pedal on time and it work just fine, then the next 2 or 3 presses it would come up there was not a trailer pluged in.

I never had it say there wasn't a trailer plugged in. Just seems to be weak when pressing the brake pedal.

You may have a loose wire or something somewhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the brakes are junk from factory mine are the same and i replaced the brake module under warranty, you can set it on 5 and then brake relatively hard and it only lights up to 2 on the controller, i miss my old protogy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine seems weak also. I think its the way it is programmed.

manually it seems to stop ok.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anybody know if you can bypass the factory module and connect an aftermarket?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sheesh. Mine will get it's first test this week and by the sounds of it I better not expect much. Does ANYBODY have one that works the way it should?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
anybody know if you can bypass the factory module and connect an aftermarket?
You can. Easy as pie to wire in under the dash to the left of the brake pedal. I put a prodigy in a month after i bought the 2010 Ram, the factory brake controller was useless. I posted this on a simalar thread about 6 months ago, when everyone with the 2010's were compaining the factory controller was junk. I see they are still useing the same one in the 2011. Also hate when the brake pedal is so slow to release the brake lights stay on for an extra 1.5 seconds, and make the brakes jerky in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can. Easy as pie to wire in under the dash to the left of the brake pedal.
OK. I'll climb under thew dash tomorrow in the daylight and check it out. I still hve the Prodigy from my old truck.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
OK. I'll climb under thew dash tomorrow in the daylight and check it out. I still hve the Prodigy from my old truck.
PM if any questions. you will need to run a power and ground to the factory controller power/ground wires to fool the EVIC, or service brake controller message will always be on. Let me know if you need assistance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine works fine. I just towed a 13,000 pound hummer from north Dakota to Washington and had the controller on 8. Worked great. I only had to use 10 towing 21,000 pounds of steel

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
When hooked up to my tool trailer with roughly 8 to 9000 lbs, I have to set the controller on 4.5......any higher it will lock the trailer brakes up. I just bought a 12k dump trailer and empty(3600 lbs) I have to set it on 5 to 6 just to even feel the the trailer brakes working,:confused013: I think some of the issues has to do with the trailer brake setup......I will find out for sure when I run a heavy load with mine.

·
Registered
855 Posts
mine doesn't work worth a chit either, if i really stomp on the pedal it locks up the brakes and doesnt let go for like 4 seconds lol . only complaint ive had with my truck

·
Registered
957 Posts
It is stupidly weak compared to my tekonsha.

Exhaust brake and tow-haul mode makes up for it though.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
You can. Easy as pie to wire in under the dash to the left of the brake pedal. I put a prodigy in a month after i bought the 2010 Ram, the factory brake controller was useless. I posted this on a simalar thread about 6 months ago, when everyone with the 2010's were compaining the factory controller was junk. I see they are still useing the same one in the 2011. Also hate when the brake pedal is so slow to release the brake lights stay on for an extra 1.5 seconds, and make the brakes jerky in stop and go traffic.
I agree with most of the statements in here about the brake controller, though after towing sig. 5er through the mountains of WV, TN, NC, SC and VA since last June, it seems to be getting a little better, but doesn't come close to being the brake controller my Prodigy was.

I notice you said you hated when brake pedal was slow to release and the brake lights stayed on longer than normal...this sounds a lot like one of the symptoms related to the K34 recall fix. Seemed odd, but that peculiar anomaly was mentioned in relationship to the above recall. Would having the K34 recall done on your truck maybe knock out that one problem? Don't know if it would help the brake controller any, but it might help with the brakes hanging a little and brake lights staying on an extra 1.5 seconds.

I've also noticed as others, when using slider on the hand controller, the unit works fine...go figure.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts