Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trailer brake controller opinions please.

4044 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Dutch & Di
Was wondering if any of you are knowledgeable with after market trailer brakes?
When I bought my truck this fall it came with a brake controller called " POD " I don't really like it and do not like the way it works. It may only be me but I want to change it out.
What are the best ones on the market today, and are they difficult to install myself. Keep in mind I am not very mechanically inclined. I pull a 14" tandum about 7,000 lbs.

Thanks for your help.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
I would recommend the Prodigy Brake Controller made by TEKONSHA. Their Top of the Line is the P3 which I have. Instillation is Plug and Play. Just purchase the wiring harness kit. Look for a Blue Plug between the Parking Brake and the Steering Column under the dash. Mount the controller and you're ready to go. You will need to calibrate the braking for your trailer. Comes with detailed instruction... Very Simple to use.

The Plug and Play harness...

The Prodigy

P3 Controller

· SUPER MODERATOR
1,907 Posts
Prodigy I have to agree with that!

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
I have the Prodigy and am very happy with it. Works very well and easy install. If I was looking for a new one I would buy the same again.

· SUPER MODERATOR
1,907 Posts
Yellow pages start calling hitch shops rv dealers see who has the best deal on them right now.

· Registered
590 Posts
Thanks guys, I will look for the best place here to get it.
What are they worth about?
Between $80.00-$140.00 US Dollars depending which model you go with. Check out eBAY. Amazon for reviews and prices
Installation cost = PRICELESS!!! :thumbsup: You can have it installed in 30 minutes. With 15 minute coffee breaks.

· Banned
1,009 Posts
I have the Prodigy P3 controller pictured above. It is fantastic. Will even tell you if you have a wiring problem. Many different settings and was very easy to install. Little more money but worth it if you ask me.

· On a new learning curve!
1,047 Posts
Do these work off of brake pressure, pendulum, or timer? I have a POD on my 06 and hate it because it is a timer box. In a panic stop it does nothing. In a slow stop you have to pump the brake pedal to get the trailer to release, otherwise it just keeps ramping up the pressure on the trailer brakes. I really like what I have read about the Max Brake, it works off of line pressure, but it is spendy. I have the pendulum type on my other trucks and they are adequate, but not perfect. Looking to upgrade the 06 with a better system.

· Registered
590 Posts
The controllers listed here are Proportional Controllers.

They do a very good job in quick braking situation. I never had that feeling of my trailer trying to Push my truck in stopping.

Proportional based controls offer a smooth braking response to almost any stop. Through the use of a sensing device, the brake control can determine the tow vehicle's rate of deceleration and then apply the trailer brakes to match. In other words, Proportional controls deliver power to the trailer brakes in direct relationship to the actual physical deceleration of the tow vehicle.

· Registered
254 Posts
I have Tekonsha Prodigy I used on my 2003 Dodge Ram Sell for $65.00 list is $161.42

· Registered
95 Posts
I liked my bosses reese digital it was plain and easy to use don't thing it hand any proportioning though it used a gain setting and thats what you got in slow and panic stops to the best of my knoledge. I hate mine espiecialy that genius that mounted it right by the parking brake i kick it every time and broke the slider of. know it likes to stick!

· Registered
590 Posts
mounted it right by the parking brake i kick it every time and broke the slider of. know it likes to stick!
Yeah, I did the same, I assumed it was the Parking Brake once and ripped that controller right off it's mount. It's still there, It's the only place I really can take a quick glance at it. I'm one to not drill into the interior.

· Banned
1,009 Posts
I mounted mine on the right side and used one screw to mount it on the existing hole for the kick panel. I can see it fine and never has gotten in the way. I like the one that I have as you can set it for different axles and you can basicly custom set it for how much braking you want it to do.

· Registered
338 Posts
Just did a bit of research and found this one
Tekonsha Website - 9030
It not all falshy and seems to have some brains when its brakiing. Might use it to replace mine
I was, well acctually still am running that controller, its a peice of garbage I find, pain to tune in, wiring was a hassle. It doesnt perform like I would like it to either. JMO though

· Registered
590 Posts
I was, well acctually still am running that controller, its a peice of garbage I find, pain to tune in, wiring was a hassle. It doesnt perform like I would like it to either. JMO though
:agree2: I had one installed in my 1996. Constantly had to mess with the adjustment while coming to a stop. Specially noticeable coming to a downhill stop.

4,469 Posts
The best brake controllers are ones that measure brake pressure directly.

I have the Brakesmart (our 5th wheel is about 10k lbs gross).

Brake Smart At Dr. Performance

It's pricey as heck but easy to install. It works outstanding, you never have to adjust it. From the highway to slowly around a campground.

I bought it here 3 years ago & have had zero problems with it.

BrakeSmart Trailer Brake Controller - BrakeSmart

The new Maxbrake controller also measures brake pressure directly & is a little cheaper.

Max Brake Controller

These are way more money than the pendulum/accelerometer controllers but worth it IMO.

...Joe

· Registered
18 Posts
We have Max Brake mounted on the right side for 2 reasons
1. It is easy for both the driver and passenger to read the controller and
2. A safety reason. If something happens to the driver, the passenger can reach over and get to the controller. Diana

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.