Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i am in school and drive alot, i love my diesel but 160 to fill is draining the school fund really quick. I was wondering what you guys thought about me being able to trade my 6bt for a 4bt and how much i could ask for difference. Also i have a 24v so can i put it in my truck with no ill effects. (because it has a computer and all?) I know a guy local that has some 4bt but i would kinda like to get a few bucks out of the deal. what are your thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Your biggest problem will be dealing with the electronics of the 24v. I put on in a 94 1500 and the electronic on that were pretty tough to do. What year 3.9, it air to air intercooled or water to air intercooled, just turbo of NA.(naturaly aspirated)

What kind of miles are you getting with the 24v. Is your truck 4wd. I can get about 33mpg on the high but I have a much lighter truck than you.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Your biggest problem will be dealing with the electronics of the 24v. I put on in a 94 1500 and the electronic on that were pretty tough to do. What year 3.9, it air to air intercooled or water to air intercooled, just turbo or NA.(naturaly aspirated)

What kind of miles are you getting with the 24v. Is your truck 4wd. I can get about 33mpg on the high but I have a much lighter truck than you.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
I'd like to have a 4BT in a 1500 chevy with a 2.73 rear and a NV4500 or simular trans. Mid 20's should be easy in a truck like that.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I'd like to have a 4BT in a 1500 chevy with a 2.73 rear and a NV4500 or simular trans. Mid 20's should be easy in a truck like that.
Yes espiecally if your truck is 2wd. I gotten as high as 27 mpg around town, I adverage about 25mpg around town. That 2.73 rear would be great for highway runs.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I dont think its wise, if you are dead set on a 4bt, do what jake did and put it in a 1500 or a Dakota.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You won't make anything on it. 4bt's are very rare compared to the 6bt. There are 6bt's everywhere for relatively cheap from pickups AND industrial uses. 4bt's usually are only found on the bread trucks or industrial applications. And they are sought after for a number of conversions.

Also, I would contend there is no fuel savings advantage. If you soup up a 4bt, it will outperform a stock automotive 6bt, but if you perform similar modifications on a 6bt, you can run it at a lower rpm, with less operating load. This translates to better efficiency. You might argue the weight savings, but I think the lower RPM handily counters this. With the mods you have, I would say the best you can do is a light foot. (DANG!)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what i was thinkin overnight. I just hear of all these people running 4bts at like 35mpg and that would be awesome. Right now, even with a really light foot, best i can get is like 18.

·
Banned
432 Posts
18 mpg is not bad at all for a full size truck, although with a 2wd and your mods, I'd think 20 was possible. If it were me, I'd pick up a cheapo beater commuter car and run that. HTH

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
People who say they get 35 mpg for an adverage I would say that they are telling a white lie. They may have got 35 mpg on one tank but thats not what they adverage. I seen as high as 33mpg gallon on the highway, but I adverage with all my driving about 25-26mpg. My engine is completely stock. I have done nothing to improve fuel mileage.

As for my truck I love it I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has enough power to tow what I want to tow and keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
try a motorcycle for going to school and around town..55 mpgs and alotta power sounds really nice and then the truck will still be there waiting for you on the weekends or special trips

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what im thinking now but unfortunatly i would have to sell the truck to have enought money to get a bike too haha. Ive been seriously thinkin about gettin a buell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts