Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
imo, If you have money to throw away and like having a stock truck, than yes a 13 is great.

BUT, a 12 you could theoretically delete and have all your issues resolved of EGR and save you $$ in the long run. id hold on to your 12 and delete, just depends what your plans are.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I love my 2013 2500 with 3.42's but I wish I had my 2012 with 3.73's back! I made a mistake trading mine in for a 2013. :doh: Towing my 2012 got 1-2 better mpgs and did not use urea!:thumbsup: I like the 2013 because I got the Laramie but engine and trans and rear end gears aren't as good as my 2012 ST. My 2012 would beat this 2013 in a drag race or up a hill towing all day long too.:confused013: Oh well, it is what it is..............I'd keep my 2012 if I had it all over to do again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have everything to do the deletes but I'm kind of worried about the '12 being junk. I also buggered up and bought the extended warranty which will be void once deleted. I have heard of head gasket problems with the EGR block off plates in place. What kind of mileage is everyone getting once deleted?

·
Registered
2021 3500 dually 4x4
555 Posts
I don't miss my 11 at all, but I am comparing it stock to stock. Neither my 11 or my 13 have been modded. Both were 3.42 gears, 11 was 2wd and my 13 is 4wd, both mega cabs and the 13 gets much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have an extended warranty, then it should cover your EGR concerns. If you delete the truck, you can say good buy to your extended warranty...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The EGR deleted doesnt cause blown head gaskets. A delete tuner with a driver who doesnt let their truck warm up before hammering down the throttle causes bloen head gaskets. Many guys are running full deletes on stock head gasket with many miles on their rides now. Research what settings to run on here with whichever tuner you decide on and you will be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have an extended warranty, then it should cover your EGR concerns. If you delete the truck, you can say good buy to your extended warranty...
Warranty doesn't cover it. Fine print in the maintenance section about excessive idling. I'm in the great white north and sometimes have to work out of my truck so I'm screwed either way. -33*C last week pretty hard not to idle your truck.

·
Free parts distributor
5,002 Posts
So you like the '13 better than the deleted '12?
Yes, mileage is better in the stock 13' then it was in the deleted 12'.... both pulled the camper just as well... 12 had 3.73, 13 has 3.42...

Take this with a grain of salt, my 12' was a dually the 13' is not...
avg. MPG over 12k miles on the 12' deleted was 14.8
avg. MPG over 4200 miles on the 13' is at 17.7

this is hand calc on both, mixed HWY and city.

Pulling 43' 5 slide bunkhouse the 12' averaged right around 9.8

two trips in the 13' were 10.7 and 11.2

You can sell the deletes and make some money off them, or sell them with the 12, some people rather the 12's so they can delete and you'll get a decent price for it... And the 13's they are giving a good bit off sticker.. i paid right at 47k OTD for my 13' mega, which had around a 65k sticker on it..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
my .02

13's the interior is a bit nicer, stock vs stock the milage is better on the 13's.

If I had a 12's I would just delete it though honestly. I don't understand why people make such a bit deal of it I have deleted a couple freinds trucks and nothing but positives. there are not negatives too it IMO.

on the flip side People make a big deal about the urea on the 13's but even if you have to go to walmart and buy it ~$10 per 2.5 gal it is not a big deal. so basically about $20 every 4k or so. it is not hard to fill or anthing but it is something else to mess with.

I just am not sure the advantages are there to take the loss on a 12 for a 13 when an exhaust and tuner on a 12 at those issues you talk about are gone.

I can tell you that lifted like I am the 13 is not getting any better milage that my 5.9 did on 37's so it is not magical or anyting. my buddie with 11 deleted on 37's get the same if not a tad better mileage than I do on 38's.

the 13/14 though is a nice truck. I mean interior wise and things like that I find it to be the nicest ram to date just not sure if it is enough nicer than the 12 you already have.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I traded my 2012 for the 13' in my sig...all new frame, all new front and rear suspension, dual coolant system, better tranny cooling system, dual channel air intake, etc...went from 12,300# GVWR and 25,500# GCWR to 14,000# GVWR and 36,700# GCWR...a WHOLE LOT more "bells and whistles" on the 13, ( and the 12 was also a Longhorn)....Better mpg...385 HP, 850ftlb of TQ, stock, Aisin tranny...heck, BIG difference with 3500's..and I loved the 12'...I like this one even better.

as far as losing money...depends on if you were "married" to the 12....I wasn't, got an awesome deal on the 12', got an even better deal on the 13' that I had ordered Dec. 5th 2012, but not knowing prices at that time, opted for a 12'..13 didn't come in UNTIL MAY:shock:.."they made me a deal I couldn't refuse", so I really didn't lose any money and I have the Chrysler Max Care warranty, 7yr/100,000 zero deductible..that was GIVEN to me in July due to fiasco with picture frame adapter....so, I'm loving the truck and the deal...

Guess if all one is interested in is deleting, go with the 12'...I'm looking at it much differently, so the 13' for me...got more HP and TQ than I need and mpg is 2 mpg+ better than on my 12' (hand calculated, not using lie-o-meter)

Reactions: LaMoparPower

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had a stock 12 and bought a 13 and have never looked back. I love the new interior and 8.4 nav system. Wish I would waited for the 14 and got the IRS. I did not know about it, my bad

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you're going to be doing that much idling in the winter you're going to have just as many issues with your EGR on your 13... I'd delete your 12 and never worry again....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Has anyone traded up? Are the '13s that much better on fuel? My '12 is in for plugged EGR at 47,600km $2100 bill to fix.

Are the '13s having these issues as well? Is it worth my while to trade up?
I've got 9200 miles on my truck and have zero issues. "Is it worth it?"..that's your call, you have a plugged EGR at only and it's going to cost you 2100 to fix it? Don't know where you stand on a trade in at this time....$2100 is a lot of money, or can the EGR, delete everything and good luck with the 12'...

Do "I" feel like it was worth it to go from the 12 to the 13..oh yeah, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, but sounds like your best bet is to keep the truck and do the deletes, you're going to get bit one way or the other. With under 36,000 miles on the truck, why isn't it covered under warranty, or is that something that isn't covered under standard "3/36,000? I've had diesels with EGR's since 07.5 and towed all through the mountains and never had a plugged EGR. Do you know what caused it? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards doing the deletes and go from there. It's a pretty big loss to trade a year old truck in.
If you delete, cancel your extended warranty and get a refund. :thumbsup:

-Guzzler

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.