Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trade a 5.9 for a new 2010 6.7

1784 Views 20 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Goehner
Hey, just throwing this out to you guys with a 6.7. I'm thinking about getting a 2010 Laramie QCSB to replace my '03 QCSB Laramie with 27000 miles on it. I have a guy that wants to buy my '03. It has the six speed and I would be buying a 6 six speed to replace it. I have a AFE Stage 2, and a Smarty on it and it really runs great. I had it for a little over a year and really don't have any problems other than the heater door isssue. I have the parts on order still waiting for on e backorderd part, so I haven't fixed it yet. Any how, looking for opinions on what I should do. Thanks in advance, Bob
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:banghead:...:shock:...:spank:...:buttkick

· Registered
12,293 Posts
Hey, just throwing this out to you guys with a 6.7. I'm thinking about getting a 2010 Laramie QCSB to replace my '03 QCSB Laramie with 27000 miles on it. I have a guy that wants to buy my '03. It has the six speed and I would be buying a 6 six speed to replace it. I have a AFE Stage 2, and a Smarty on it and it really runs great. I had it for a little over a year and really don't have any problems other than the heater door isssue. I have the parts on order still waiting for on e backorderd part, so I haven't fixed it yet. Any how, looking for opinions on what I should do. Thanks in advance, Bob
Keep your truck.

· Premium Member
177 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 6.7! Haven't heard any good things about them for example, fuel economy sucks and many say they dont have a lot of power. Dont know this for a fact seeing as how I dont own one but, I havent heard anything good about them really. Hope this helps.

· Registered
250 Posts
I don't have a 6.7 but after talking to a lot of people that have one I would stay away from them. I keep hearing the mileage sucks and they have turbo and DPF problems. It looks like I'll be keeping my 5.9 for a long time.

btw, if I were in the market for a brand new truck I think I'd go back to gas. There really is no logical reason to go with diesel anymore.

· Registered
94 Posts
LOVE my 6.7 Its been FLAWLESS. Just hit 115k miles and did all the emissions deletes and its even more of a beast.

But as others have said, its not worth it if it hurts you financially.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Well I had an 04 with the 5.9 and loved that truck. Just before x-mas I bought this new 09 with the 6.7. Mostly because I am moving to Alaska and needed a mega cab for the kids. Personally, I wouldn't go back. Yes the mileage blows but once i put a new exhaust (in other words, remove the DPF and cat) the mileage will go up. I can't see where people claim the 6.7 seems to lack power. I don't see that at all. Plus the 6 speed auto feels much better then the 4 speed in my 04.

That said, as others have said, if you can't financially afford it, don't. The difference isn't that much plus if you get the 6.7, you have to listen to all the biatches complain. :rof

· Registered
53 Posts
keep the 5.9 i just rolled over 301,000 on mine and now im having tranny issues. engine is great but only having a strong 1st and 2nd sux

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
I would wait another year to let some new bugs work out and to let the price drop on them. Your 03 only has 27k miles on it. The engine is not even broke in so to speak.

· Registered
283 Posts
The only reason I would get rid of your 03 is to upgrade to 6 spd auto. I went from an 04 dodge with a 6-spd to a 08 chevy duramax/allison and now I am in a 07 dodge with the 68rfe. I don't miss my manual trans at all, especially in town. With the manual shift option, that the new auto's have, you have almost the same control over the tranny as the manual.

3,313 Posts
im hopeing the milage on the truck is a type-o 27,000? i hope you ment 270,000
I LOVE my 6.7 but if you only have 27,000 miles keep the 5.9

· Registered
141 Posts
I own a 07 5.9 6 speed, my dad owns 08 6.7 6 speed. Identical trucks other than the engine. This is his first diesel and he doesn't drive it any different than any other truck he has owned. If he is doing something and doesn't want to shut it down it sits and idles, if he needs to run two miles he does. What i'm saying is he just runs it and doesn't worry about the "proper" way to drive it and it has been flawless. His mileage empty (around 15 running around) is about one less than mine and towing he gets the same if not slightly better mileage than me.
If you want a new truck get what you want but don't base the whole decision on the engine.

· Registered
229 Posts
I have only had to make ONE DPF regen run, that was yesterday evening. Got in, got to the end of my housing area, and *ding* DPF 80% full.

At 2200 miles, and I only had to take it out on the 2-lane highway for about 5 minutes before REGENERATION COMPLETED came on the overhead.

I idle A LOT here in the winter... Averaging my hours and mileage, I come out to 22 mph. I also have a 2.6 mile commute to work. I believe this is the reason for the DPF message... It's not good to run cold, and I have had a busy week to where I had only driven to and from work, nowhere else along the way. Idle, run 4 minutes, shut down. do that 10 times! On top of that, it never broke 30*.

Now, if your rig truly has 27,000 miles on it, KEEP IT! If not, I see no reason not to move up to the 2010.

· PA Cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back again, thanks for all the replies. To answer one question, not a typo it only has 27000. Only owned the truck for 15 months and it only had 14000 when I bought it. Out of the last 12 months, I've only worked about 7 months. Construction just died off. One of the reasons for thinking about buying a new one is I would trade in my '09 GT 500 convertible to get out of the payment.
Since work turned out to be slow all through 2009, I'm just getting tired of paying for the GT 500. Love the car though! So with the truck + the GT 500 I'm paying a little over $1000/mo. Plus the new truck would have some options added on the order that I don't have now.
One thing too, I am really liking the new sheet metal that is on the new HD Ram.
My wife has the MY GIG radio in her Jeep Liberty, and I would definitely add that option and the reverse parking assist. Don't know if I'll do anything:banghead:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.