Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tractor pulling / drag racing, auto vs stick

8586 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bhaner
So i plan on doing some mild tractor pulling with my truck and some drag racing with truck in sig. assuming a good clutch and a good auto trans What would be better for pulling auto or stick? and what would be faster drag racing auto or stick? Im thinking of swapping out the auto for a nv4500 but not sure if its worth it. Also when tractor pulling with an auto do you run in 4w high or 4w low?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoops this went into the wrong section:doh::doh::doh:. Moderator please move

· Registered
225 Posts
Well no matter what section it is in, a built auto with matching TC is always better for racing. Sled pulling is a different matter and I won't even comment on that.

· SootCloudMaker3
5,432 Posts
Thats what i loved about having my 06 auto and my early 04 manual. The best of both worlds. Man i wish i wouldnt of gotten rid of that 04. But at the same time i love my auto. Its one bad mam ma jam ah.........

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys. I hooked on saturday night. I pulled 251 feet. Not bad considering I could have had my hitch alot higher, tiny hy35, only had the quadzilla on 5, and stock trans.
I think I'll stick with the auto, I just need a new tranns and turbo.
Thanks guys

· Premium Member
518 Posts
believe me when you get u fully built auto under a truck you wont wanna go back i was always a manuel guy until i got the truck i have now and with the full built trans i wouldnt have it any other way

· Registered
1,045 Posts
I have to have a manual since i daily drive just love shifting gears to much but I would love a built auto to race with

· Registered
69 Posts
i like the auto when hooked to the sled, the auto changes gears...with stick you are stuck with what you take off in
what gear would everyone recommend going in...six speed manual

· Banned
28,330 Posts
I have a fully built auto and cant wait to get back in a manual. As far as Im concerned, the autos only good for racing, everything else, daily driving included, manuals better.

· Registered
529 Posts
I have a fully built auto and cant wait to get back in a manual. As far as Im concerned, the autos only good for racing, everything else, daily driving included, manuals better.

I will second that.

I HATE TOWING HEAVY WITH AN AUTO!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.