Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

traction/ladder bars?

1664 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  BSwope
i wanted to know if a set of traction bars or ladder bars are really worth it, does it make a huge difference?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
I have been told they're "a must" for lifted trucks...

I don't have any...Never have on any of my play toys...and I've got some BIG toys ('78 Chevy truck, 23" of lift and 44" SS TSL's).

However, I have been thinkin about getting some for my Dodge...

Just haven't found any that I really like the way they look...

· Registered
3,509 Posts
I have been told they're "a must" for lifted trucks...

I don't have any...Never have on any of my play toys...and I've got some BIG toys ('78 Chevy truck, 23" of lift and 44" SS TSL's).

However, I have been thinkin about getting some for my Dodge...

Just haven't found any that I really like the way they look...
Does your '78 make the kind of power yor CTD does? From what I understand they are a must on leaf sprung trucks making big power. Lifted or not they help...but more so on lifted rigs. Sound about right?:confused013:

· 700hp Club
2,197 Posts
yah that's about right. i have some coming because i can feel the axle wrap. i only have 2" of lift but the truck shudders off the line with the axle wrap, did it before the lift so i know it's not just that. big tires and huge torque will eventually kill your u-joints and pinion:doh:

· Registered
3,661 Posts
I went with Cal Tracs around 350 to the door and they have been making racing suspensions for along time! I will say though they will help with pulling but if your doing alot of pull events you want a longer set.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Funny you guys should ask about these. These are one of the products I am working on. Which I would be able to tell you more about if I could ever get an anwser from some one on becoming a sponsor. But someone sent me a reply to my email finally that said $1500/mnth. But anyway been workin on a set any ideas what are you guys looking for so far I have a 1" heim necked up from that to 2.4" in 3 steps I think they look pretty good but through some ideas at me guys see what we can come up with. Then if I can get sponsor status we will be golden:headbang: But to anwser the original question yes they help a lot especially with lifted trucks or hard pullin out of the hole no more spring wrap whihc is hard on the drive shaft and u joints no more wheel hop and keeps the power where it belongs not wasted in torqing your rear end up

· Registered
841 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
the rize bars look bad azz. whats the price on them?

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
Does your '78 make the kind of power yor CTD does? From what I understand they are a must on leaf sprung trucks making big power. Lifted or not they help...but more so on lifted rigs. Sound about right?:confused013:
To answer your question, my '78 does not make the kind of power that my cummins does.

However, I am taking the lift off of that truck, and putting it on my '86 chevy which has a 500 hp small-block in it.

So, yes, that one does make that kind of power.

Anyway, I would get some for my Cummins, but have unsuccessfully found any that I THINK look good.

I don't like all this metal that's just hangin down close to the road...I like something a little more high-rised,maybe sitting on the axle and not looking quite so bulky...

These are simply my opinions.

So, nobody jump on me for throwing out ideas.

If anyone knows of any that look sort of like that, shoot me a PM with a link to them.

Thanks.

· Premium Member
419 Posts
You can get some 2"DOM tubing 1/4 inch thick and sometractor three point links, cut them off and weld them to the tubing just make 4 plates to bolt to the fram and weld 4 tabs on the lower part of the rear axle and bolt them in. If you look at serious truck puller springs they might be a little twisted without these!!

· Registered
841 Posts

· Registered
929 Posts
Stay tuned fellas.......... I have some spy photo's of some HEAVY BUILT bars!!!!!!!:headbang: Keep an eye out Ill be posting pics soon!!!

· Registered
374 Posts
These are some I made up myself.They are 1 1/4 inch sch. 40 pipe with some end links from Tractor Supply welded in the ends.You could do 2 inch if you wanted to.I only needed them heavy enough to control axle wrap in loose gravel.I don't do any pulling.I bolted them to the frame and lower shock mounts.I've hade them on for over a year now with no issues.-Andy.

· Registered
929 Posts
I hear these are cheaper than the Lazar bars as well.:headbang:
Yup they will be cheaper and stronger IMHO, you should see these things!! I have some pics but im waiting for him to send me the rest and then Ill post some! Right now the first set is going on a Dmax so the ones in the pics will be abit short cause the truck is a short bed.
I seem em in person and my first thought was :shock::headbang:!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.