Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about putting some traction bars on my 09 2wd. I’ve heard caltracs are the best bang for my buck. I daily drive this truck and don’t tow very often with it. How are the caltracs for daily driving city/highway? I do have a few mods done to it so it does have some power.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I run them on my truck. Daily driver lowered 4wd mega dually.

Yes, they make the rear suspension rougher. But with the overloads and spacers removed (helpers and airbags still in place) it’s about the same ride quality as stock full sprung truck. I’ve lowered my rear air pressure to about 35-40 psi when running unloaded to compensate, compared to running 50ish psi unloaded prior to the caltracs.

If you’re starting to get u-joint issues, traction bars are a halfway decent bandaid til you can put the truck down and get your driveshaft rebuilt because when properly adjusted it basically locks the rear end at its static pinion angle - key word there is “static”. But they do take up some of the stress that the springs and u-joints would have been taking.

Wheel hop is a nonexistent thing now. That said, I do have to be a little more careful accelerating on damp pavement. Not that I’m driving a race truck, but the tires are now absorbing ALL the torque the axles are transmitting; previously that little bit of axle rotation would take up just enough that the truck would hardly ever break the rears loose.

You’ll need to have the truck on the ground to get the bars installed; I don’t care what the instructions or videos show. Jack stands under the axles is not sufficient to get it right. Recommend setting them to barely contact the spring pack (zero preload), and adding preload in half-turn increments every 20-30 miles til you get a preload that “feels right”. I ended up about a turn and a half of preload to eliminate wheel hop.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts