Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing a Carli adjustable track bar which helped reduced about half of the slop in the steering, I noticed that my bolt hole was egged out. I really don't have access to a welder to weld the thick washers in. I have read that some people are drilling out the hole and using bigger bolts. First question is the extra spacers included with the Carli track bar sized for 16mm bolts? The second question is what size of drill bit are people using? Something I read mentioned 5/8 drill bit. My only problem with that is will that mess up the threads on the bolt when you hammer it through? I would you assume you have to hammer it through because of the size difference.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
This is a common problem on our rigs. I am going to be welding in the thick washers but for now I just tightened the hell out of things. Not a real substitute but...

If you are going to drill the holes bigger, use a series of progressively larger bits or even use a reamer to get it to the final size. If you just go in with a big bit, it will wallow things out and rill oversize almost 100% of the time. Are you sure that you couldn't get the washers, install them, tighten everything up nice and tight, and then drive to a local 4WD shop or maybe even a muffler shop and have someone put a couple of beads of MIG weld on them? I don't think you have to weld them in first...might be wrong though...

Let us know what you find.

Rob

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
there is no reason, why a local welder couldnt get this going for you.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
After installing a Carli adjustable track bar which helped reduced about half of the slop in the steering, I noticed that my bolt hole was egged out. I really don't have access to a welder to weld the thick washers in. I have read that some people are drilling out the hole and using bigger bolts. First question is the extra spacers included with the Carli track bar sized for 16mm bolts? The second question is what size of drill bit are people using? Something I read mentioned 5/8 drill bit. My only problem with that is will that mess up the threads on the bolt when you hammer it through? I would you assume you have to hammer it through because of the size difference.
Yes,
The bigger sleeves included are for the 16mm bolts. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.