Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad's '95 cummins auto started shifting in and out of overdrive and in and out of lockup real bad and we checked the voltage going into the TPS and it was 4.97 volts on a Fluke multimeter. we checked the output and it was a shaky .3 volts. so we hacked the sensor all up and finally slotted it enough to get 1.2 volts, but the output voltage was still real shaky. we testdrove it and it seemed to help some so we ordered a new TPS (BWD from Oreillys) and we put it on this morning. the input voltage is 4.99-5.00 but the output voltage is around .08to .10 volts. I thought the output voltage was supposed to be around 1.2????? could the new sensor be bad???? or is there something else causing our problems???

we tested the output voltage from the orange wire to the battery ground. he is testdriving the truck right now and I should know pretty quick weather it is working now

thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the truck is still not working right, its not shifting in and out of overdrive as bad, but the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking.

· Registered
120 Posts
With the tps sensor unpluged and the key turned on, should there be any voltage on the center terminal of the female plug? I'm getting 4.7v on the supply (violet) and 3v on the center (orange) on my '95 cummins.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
With the tps sensor unpluged and the key turned on, should there be any voltage on the center terminal of the female plug? I'm getting 4.7v on the supply (violet) and 3v on the center (orange) on my '95 cummins.
I've never seen any numbers published with the TPS unplugged.
Don't think it's standard test.

· Registered
120 Posts
It may not be a standard test but it tells me I have 3v on the signal wire (center) when I think I'm not suppose to. I'm having the same problem as americanmusc1e and getting nearly 0v with a new tps on center wire when plugged in with key on. That's worse than the old one. I'm thinking the voltage is trying to go both ways when plugged in. So again, can anyone tell me if there's suppose to be voltage on the signal wire when unplugged from the tps with key on? The dealership doesn't know. They said the new tps needed adjusted for which I think there is no factory adjustment. I told them about the 3v on the signal wire but they didn't seem to care. Any input on this would be appreciated as this problem is getting old. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.