Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

TPS problem!!!

2115 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  2tonchevy
any body know how to test the TPS? i just finished my cummins 12 valve swap and i cant get my compushift pcs to calibrate. im nit getting a good reading from the tps so before i buy a new one (130 freakin bucks) i just wanted to run it buy you guys so i can test it first. its a 94 12 valve 5.9 and its in a 2004 f350 w an auto tranny. thanks for your help in advance....rage on.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Check for referance voltage; (+) on the purple/white wire terminal. (-) black/light blue wire terminal. be around 5.0 volts.
Throttle fully closed should be .5-1.5 volts, Moving the throttle lever to open throttle the voltage should change with a max of 3.5-4.5 volts.

Goodluck

· Registered
677 Posts
Throttle fully closed should be .5-1.5 volts, Moving the throttle lever to open throttle the voltage should change with a max of 3.5-4.5 volts.

Goodluck
That is measured on the center wire with the TPS hooked up to its connector. A paperclip works well to backprobe the connector to measure the voltage.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Click> TPS testing and adjustment

What I do that works better than a paper clip for measuring voltage with the TPS connected is strip about an inch of insulation off a short length of stranded wire then cut all the strands off except two.
Insert these strands into the female side of the connector before you push it back together.
The insulated wire is much easier to keep from shorting together than paper clips.

· Registered
677 Posts
Click> TPS testing and adjustment

What I do that works better than a paper clip for measuring voltage with the TPS connected is strip about an inch of insulation off a short length of stranded wire then cut all the strands off except two.
Insert these strands into the female side of the connector before you push it back together.
The insulated wire is much easier to keep from shorting together than paper clips.
Good idea:thumbsup: It doesn't "spring" the female side of the connector, does it? Probably not if the wire used is very fine strands...

I just used a single paper clip soldered to a long length of wire. I stuck the paper clip into the back of the connector, alongside the wire, until it made contact. I pick up my ground right at the battery post, so there was no possibility of shorting out at the TPS connector.

2tonchevy: where can you get a TPS for $130? I thought they were something like $230 new...:doh:

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea:thumbsup: It doesn't "spring" the female side of the connector, does it? Probably not if the wire used is very fine strands...

I just used a single paper clip soldered to a long length of wire. I stuck the paper clip into the back of the connector, alongside the wire, until it made contact. I pick up my ground right at the battery post, so there was no possibility of shorting out at the TPS connector.

2tonchevy: where can you get a TPS for $130? I thought they were something like $230 new...:doh:
thanks for all the replies fellas!

132 dollars at autozone my brotha! check it out. hell i bout my pants when they told me how much it was!:shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.