Cummins Diesel Forum banner

TPMS heavy and light load switch

5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Radride 
#1 ·
Shouldn't you be able to toggle the TPMS between light load and heavy? I do not want to run my tires that high and I keep getting the warning light. I thought the switch would switch to the lower settings but it won't. Do not know if this is another issue with the truck or not. It will not let me switch the system to light load.

#3 ·
Is there a trick to get it it to switch to light load or is my truck just not doing it? All these little problems are really starting to piss me off. The bluetooth is this truck also sucks. It always dials everyone but who I ask it too.

#4 ·
If you press the light load button, it will tell you on the dash where the tire pressures need to be in order to run it on light load. You have to be paying attention to the display because it only displays the light load tire pressure settings for a couple of seconds and then resorts back to the current tire pressures. My dealer could figure it out until I got home and realized I had to let the air out of the tires until I reached the desired pressure.

R.K.

#5 ·
So yours would not switch until you let the air out? I figured that it should switch regardless of the tire pressure. Mine are at 60psi all the way around. Maybe I will try letting the air out and see if it switches. Doesn't sound right, but I will try anything at this point.

#16 ·
3500's don't have that feature and from what I hear, 2014 2500's don't have it either.

#7 ·
Below the HVAC controls (not the screen, below that) all the way on the right

#9 ·
It must just be on the 2500's. Its in that row all the way to the right. 3500's they must want you to run heavy all the time. Cant see it being an option because it really does nothing. Its a useless feature as far as I'm concerned

#10 ·
Dang, that does make sense though. On my 3500 there's a blank all the way to the right in that row. Must be where your button is. Too bad, I was hoping if I ran less pressure it might soften the ride. :D

#11 ·
I don't think the 2014's have the light load setting anymore! You will have to run 80 psi in the rear or get the warning! I wish we could trick the computer like you can on the fords setting the fronts higher then the rears.

#15 ·
Even though I think it is stupid why the warning light comes on above the warning tire pressure, I did what RADRIDE said and dropped the tire pressure in the rear to 45lbs. It worked! It let me switch between heavy load to light load and the warning went away. Then I pumped it back up to 50psi.

#17 ·
If I run below 80 lbs rear my low pressure display shows up constantly. It shows the air pressure in all tires and says to air up the rears to 80 lbs. I have a 2014 Laramie with the big display!

I wish I had a light load setting!!!

#21 ·
Mine tripped too, rears dropped to 58psi and it kicked the light(warm was 70f/65r). So annoying. No need for 80psi of air in the winter. Be like driving on hockey pucks!

Jason

#22 · (Edited)
That is one thing I do like about being able to toggle the TPMS. I can run 45 psi in the rears with no warnings.
Jason Where are the good diesel dealers around in Delaware? I want to know where to take it if I have any warranty issues. I already need to have the trans update and the Uconnect update

#24 ·
My wife pushed my light load button (turning it off) to see what it would do. It wouldn't turn back on until I dropped my rear pressures from 47 to 45. Soooo annoying.

#28 ·
3500's never had the light/heavy load switch. In 2014 the 3500 got the tire monitors, the 2500 dropped the switch and they get the low pressure warnings.

#29 ·
this 'feature' is such a joke... my TPMS has been nothing but a headache since I got the truck... it constantly reads the wrong tire positions and lights up my dash with warning for low pressure. Local dealer says he can't do anything about it until I put stock running gear back on it...

#30 ·
That's a bummer. No complaints on mine. Nice feature. Always within 1 lb of my manual tire gauge.

#31 ·
Finally dropped my rears to 50psi to let the light load button work and shut the stupid light off. Can I jack the pressure back up to 65psi now without an issue as long as I do not hit the load button again or will it warn that the pressure is too high?

#32 ·
Once you adhere to the required pressures in the display and the system switches over, it is my understanding that you then have the acceptable range parameters for the mode that you are in.

I had the same issues a while back and had made the mistake of switching modes then in order to get back to light load mode, I had to bump my tires back up to the 50psi or whatever the display said to set them at. before it would switch back. I think once your in the mode you want, you have a range of something like +-7psi before it trips a warring light.

I am curious that if a guy wants to run on the fringe of the required pressures, that I am told you may want to switch over to nitrogen, its my understanding that the nitrogen doesn't change pressure as much with the outside temperature changes. I don't know that for sure since I have not tried it, I was just told that by a tire shop.

I know regular air changes something like 2psi for every 10 degrees. If tires are set at 50psi on a 50 degree day then when its 30 out they would show 46 psi. I am not sure what the Nitrogen does there but might be worth looking into to.

Anyone ever try the nitrogen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.