Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I have searched high and low, and even spoke to my dealer and couldnt get a straight answer. Posting here and in the CC section, curious if someone can help.

2200 Ram 5500 SLT Cab and Chassis

Has the TPIS system (not TPMS).

I will be converting it to super single with the Buckstop wheels.

Wheels are made to accept factory pressure sensors.

But... I cant get a straight answer on which ones to order, so they are all the same, and will read when the tires are rotated every 5k.

I've been told the inner and outer rear ones are different so the computer can tell them apart, thats fine, i only need one per side.

But... What about the front? Dealer couldnt even give me a solid answer.

Any info or advice here?

Thanks

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @gsbrockman

Sounds like this wont be easy...

Ill keep you posted on my findings! I was going to add aftermarket sensors to the Buckstop wheels and keep the stock wheels and tires as is.

Seems the AUTEL brand of sensors and scan tools allows you to clone the factory sensors and move that data to the Autel sensors.

Sounds great in theory, no clue if will work in real life, but i am going to try.

I am curious what will happen if the truck is only sensing one rear wheel per side instead of 2, will it read the single wheels pressure or throw a code? :confused013:

Stay Tuned :smile2:

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
In a nutshell......buy four front sensors, or buy four rear outer sensors....as they most likely are the same.

As I understand it......with the frequencies being the same, the fronts are identifiable from the rears based on signal strength (proximity of the sensors to the receiver).

Since the sensors go to “sleep” when the vehicle is parked (ie tires are not turning) it may not be a big deal without any signal from the rear inners. I’m purely speculating......but I could imagine only having “—“ being displayed on the EVIC when in operation.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
I think it's as simple as Brockman suggests. Just use non-inner sensors and be done with it.
What the display will show for the missing inners (likely nothing, or a dash) should be irrelevant.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a nutshell......buy four front sensors, or buy four rear outer sensors....as they most likely are the same.

As I understand it......with the frequencies being the same, the fronts are identifiable from the rears based on signal strength (proximity of the sensors to the receiver).

Since the sensors go to “sleep” when the vehicle is parked (ie tires are not turning) it may not be a big deal without any signal from the rear inners. I’m purely speculating......but I could imagine only having “—“ being displayed on the EVIC when in operation.
gotcha, thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's as simple as Brockman suggests. Just use non-inner sensors and be done with it.
What the display will show for the missing inners (likely nothing, or a dash) should be irrelevant.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
If you're really curious about what the display will show, just remove one inner and drive around a bit.
I don't have TPMS or TPIS so while you have me wondering, I can't try it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're really curious about what the display will show, just remove one inner and drive around a bit.
I don't have TPMS or TPIS so while you have me wondering, I can't try it.
Thanks! I've never owned a dually before. Had no idea you could actually do that! hahaha

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plot thickens...

Got new tires mounted and balanced on the super single wheels.

Did as suggested above, and by my dealer (i told him what i was doing) and ordered 4 outer sensors.

Activated them, drove around 45 mins, nothing, started from scratch, same thing... Hmmmm

Went to tire shop, specializes in larger trucks, semis, buses, etc, and theyre who i got my tires from also. They tried everything and no dice.

Seems the computer wont go into relearn mode if its not seeing all 6 sensors.

I am kind of thinking for testing purposes of grabbing more 2 inner sensors and mounting them down near the axle (obviously not in a tire) and see if that works.

Or.... Put them (2) inner wheels i removed that still have the sensors on the bed of the truck, and seeing if that will trigger them. Where is the pickup sensor thingamcjig that reads them?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Plot thickens...

Got new tires mounted and balanced on the super single wheels.

Did as suggested above, and by my dealer (i told him what i was doing) and ordered 4 outer sensors.

Activated them, drove around 45 mins, nothing, started from scratch, same thing... Hmmmm

Went to tire shop, specializes in larger trucks, semis, buses, etc, and theyre who i got my tires from also. They tried everything and no dice.

Seems the computer wont go into relearn mode if its not seeing all 6 sensors.

I am kind of thinking for testing purposes of grabbing more 2 inner sensors and mounting them down near the axle (obviously not in a tire) and see if that works.

Or.... Put them (2) inner wheels i removed that still have the sensors on the bed of the truck, and seeing if that will trigger them. Where is the pickup sensor thingamcjig that reads them?

Thoughts?

Might need to get one of the auto programmers to change the amount of sensors the truck is reporting. Which will also be useful to set the new tire size to adjust the speedometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Might need to get one of the auto programmers to change the amount of sensors the truck is reporting. Which will also be useful to set the new tire size to adjust the speedometer.
I agree! I have the Autel TS508 tool which is supposed to be the do all TPMS tool, but it has no functions like this and i havent found much in my search.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,191 Posts

Or.... Put them (2) inner wheels i removed that still have the sensors on the bed of the truck, and seeing if that will trigger them.
Thoughts?
Unless you have some way of "waking them up", such as a passenger swirling them around, I don't think that'll do any good.
If it did, a pressurized tube with the sensors inside, then secured under the vehicle, would do the trick.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless you have some way of "waking them up", such as a passenger swirling them around, I don't think that'll do any good.
If it did, a pressurized tube with the sensors inside, then secured under the vehicle, would do the trick.
Thanks, will do some shenanigans later in my 48th attempt at this! :)

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Alright, if the computer won't cooperate without seeing all six, I'd drill an extra hole for a valve stem in each rear wheel, then mount both the outer and inner sensors in one wheel.

I have dual valve stems on my Jeep, for example, but for other reasons. Normally you'd put them 180 degrees apart, but with the sensors being a bit bulky they should go as close together as possible.
It'll look a bit goofy, but make it that much easier to mount and dismount the tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, if the computer won't cooperate without seeing all six, I'd drill an extra hole for a valve stem in each rear wheel, then mount both the outer and inner sensors in one wheel.

I have dual valve stems on my Jeep, for example, but for other reasons. Normally you'd put them 180 degrees apart, but with the sensors being a bit bulky they should go as close together as possible.
It'll look a bit goofy, but make it that much easier to mount and dismount the tires.
Thanks, i'll look into that. not sure possible with how these wheels are designed, but ill see what the tire shop says.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts