Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for an informed opinion from someone who is not trying to sell me tires:)

Right or wrong, I believe I have settled on one of these tires. Truck is an '05 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins, 4X4 ...about 90,XXX miles...slight lift. I don't do much towing or off-roading...truck is basically stock & looking at going with LT 265 70-17's. Cost is fairly close either way...dammit tires have gotten high!

I would appreciate opinions from folks that have run either (or both) of these tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally would go with the Toyo, I run their R/T version on my F250 and I'm going to out last the 45k tread wear warranty by a lot

I'll have to see how many miles my old man has on his 07 5.9 to see how the AT II's are holding up for him

·
Registered
542 Posts
I ran the AT2, I don't like them for my truck. I got 32k out of them and they were terrible on wet pavement. I'm running the Dynapro ATM now, I have around 9k so far, so far so good. They are a bit quieter than the AT2 and give a little better ride so far. Time will tell as to how they do in the long run but so far I am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Love my toyos. Not crazy loud but they do have a hum. I'd say really good in the snow and slush. Haven't been in mud. Wet roads with any tire with these trucks isn't very pleasant. I can rip the tires loose in 4th and sometimes 5th gear. Light rear end and lots of torque. I will be buying these again 100%

·
Registered
262 Posts
another vote here to the toyo at2. They are quiet and do well in the snow/gravel for me. I also load about 750 lbs of sand bags in the back of my truck for winter to keep the light rear end under control in the snow. I've got the original toyo at's on my 1995 dodge 3/4 ton gasser and they've done well too. Been on there since 2009 and don't show any weather checking or anything. Probably 30-40,000 miles on them. It doesn't get driven much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally made up my mind and went with the Toyo Open Country. Lots of good reviews and what I think/hope is a good price.....$785 tax and all...rolling down the road. Lifetime rotate & balance. I think that is a decent price...and I was tired of screwing with it:) Getting them installed Saturday.

Thanks to all for your comments!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
2-ply sidewall vs 3-ply on the Toyo's.
I'm at 9K# and the Toyos w/50 psi are like rocks.
I need to lower the psi a tad.
The Cooper ST Maxx are a good option also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I used to work for Discount Tire as a Assistant Manager.

I would see Toyo come in for Outta Round, Premature Wear, And cupping alot!
But they are a great looking tread design.

I've had 3 sets of Hankook MT RT06 on my trucks and put the All Terrain RF10 on my dads truck. I will never run a truck tire that isn't a Hankook.

Hankook also were exceeding the Mileage Warranty by at least 10-20k miles.
(Keep in mind those were the customers that rotated there tires every 3-5k miles like i do my self)

But if i absolutely had to run a Toyo or a BFG KO2. I would choose the Toyo.

Diesel trucks were only getting 10-15k miles out of the KO2s haha

My honest opinion is go down to a local Discount Tire if your by one and ask the Manager what he thinks about both. Hes gonna be the most honest cause hes not there to make sells. Hes there to run the store and take care of the customer questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts