Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Toyo Open Country AT in a 285/75R17 which is about a 34"x11.5" tire.

I can't seem to find any recent posts on the quality or durability of these tires.

Anyone running them and how are they in the snow?

I currently have 35K on my Toyo MT tires and they are working great, I just don't have much tread left and I am looking for a good winter tire.
Thank you,

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love my Toyos and have got 45k on the st I am running now. I will get 50k easy and I am hard on them. I dont tow heavy though so I am not sure how they hold up carring
bi wieght.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I miss my AT's. Toyo was hopelessly backordered on 285-75-17 AT's,so I bought some MT's. Great tough tire,but I lost 1.5 mpg. Little overkill for So Cal. A guy in the neighbprhood just had some 305-70-16 Toyo AT's installed on his van. I wish Toyo'd release a 17" in that configuration.

Nitto's 285-75-17 Terra Grappler has nearly a 600# lower load capacity than it's Toyo cousin. My MT is rated @ 3195,compared to the AT. No rhyme or reason?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a set of Toyo AT's that were siped, they were alright in the snow...I got about 42k out of them. Lots of windy corners in my commute. I now run Wild Country XTX Sports, also siped, I like them better then the Toyo AT's, seem to have better overall traction, and do a tad better in the snow. My next choice will be to try the nitto terra grapplers.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
In my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a better tire than the Toyo A/T's. I ran them in 285/75/17 on my stock wheels, lots of spinning tires, plenty of burnouts, and general all around abuse. They hold up quit well, even better if you don't beat the tar out of them.

Can't wait til spring, to get my full set of 305/60/20's in the A/T's. They look great, nice and aggressive stance to them, and they flat perform.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When comparing the Toyo to the Nito Trail grappler it appears that the toyo has a higher load capacity and is an 80 psi tire vs the 65 pis Nito

I could always go back to my Toyo MT which has been a great tire.

Here is what I have come up with:

Toyo AT 285/75 $220 each
Toyo MT 35x12.5 $291 each
Nito Trail 305/70 $273 each

Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tried to get a set last year and couldn't find anyone who had them. Settled for the terra grapplers even though people say they wear out fast if you pull much. Decided we don't pull all that often so bought them anyways, month later wife decided we were driving to WY to pick up a horse. (3 horse goosneneck trialer) The rear ones were 1/2 way gone by time we made it to IL on the the drive back. Had them rotated at a walmart and they have since worn to the point were they will be replaced in the spring. Maybe 15,000 miles or so. Worst 800 bucks I've ever spent

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
When comparing the Toyo to the Nito Trail grappler it appears that the toyo has a higher load capacity and is an 80 psi tire vs the 65 pis Nito

I could always go back to my Toyo MT which has been a great tire.

Here is what I have come up with:

Toyo AT 285/75 $220 each
Toyo MT 35x12.5 $291 each
Nito Trail 305/70 $273 each

Thoughts?
What did you decide to go with?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't decided yet.
After a day out in the woods cutting firewood I know I need something soon. The top three inches were just muddy and grease. There was a slight angle on road and I almost put it in the valley with a load of wood.

I am leaning more towards the MT again. But then again the AT would be nice this winter and towing in the spring.

·
3,998 Posts
I have the AT's have about 30k on them with alittle less than half tread. The only reason I can see these eeating up prematurely is heavy load with no air in the tire. I tow reasonably and know people with these that tow frequently and don't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally bit the bullet and got the AT tires from Toyo. I got them for $240 ish a piece out of Chicago. Discount tire wanted $318 per tire.

I had them put on this morning and I can't decide. The ride is nice but I am not won over by the look of the truck now. :confused013:

·
Registered
493 Posts
IMO it's hard to go from the Toyo MT to the AT and have the truck look anywhere NEAR as impressive. Hopefully you'll get more mileage and less fuel consumption, so your wallet may be impressed. I'm with you on the less-than-impressive look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.