Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been alot of good back on forth on alternatives other than the proven toyo m/t - probably fueled by people like me looking for something different every few years. I got very intrigued by the nitto ridge grappler but there are no real world long term reports on how this tire is holding up under a 1200lb engine. I live in 4x4 country in so. Oregon and noone yet has been willing to be a guinea pig so all go back to the proven toyo. However I have found some reports that the nitto gets loud once it wears a bit. It is also a lighter tire than the toyo which is probably weaker in the sidewall. Tire life is unknown. Also tire life is very much dependent on type of roads and driving. I dont drive highways much just 2 lane curvy roads and in the summer it is hot. I have 25k on my tires and am at 62% with even wear. I run 35lbs in front and 30 in the rear (empty). I only tow 6-7k. My front end weighs 4880 lbs with bumper winch etc and my big a** behind the wheel.

I run 37x13.50x17 so sidewall toughness is important. The toyo has proven itself. The only negative is wet/snowy pavement handling. But its not a major negative. I tried something yesterday on my tires which as mentioned are at 62%. I siped them cause for the next 5-6 mos I will be driving in wet n snowy conditions more than dry pavement. The guy who siped my tires is one of the honchos at my local Les Schwab. He has an 06 4x4 and has always siped his m/t's and no issues or reduced wear. Of course he dosent romp on it on rock roads etc but uses his truck alot in the mountains for hunting and pulling his rv. He siped my tires at a 45 deg angle so help reduce chunking. So shall see how they work. i have only driven 100 miles since and did notice a smoother feeling ride and no more road noise than before ( which is minimal).

Until another tire is proven over the long term I have decided to stick with my 94 lb toyo m/t's.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Mine required speaking with a high volume in order to communicate with my wife. I've got a fairly quiet exhaust system.
Great tires,just too noisy for me. I've ridden in an '03 straight piped with MT's where i couldn't hear anything besides the engine.
Everything's subjective.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've got around 50k+ on my M/T's and there's still life on them. I don't think I'll switch up next go around although I've been really intrigued by the Grabber X3's. Not sure there's enough out there to sway me away from the Toyos, they have done awesome in everything I've thrown at them over the years, and got me out of some pretty sketchy situations.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

·
Supporting Vendors
9,579 Posts
I run Toyo CT's, wear well so far (about 50k kms) and are pretty quiet. They are only available in Canada at the moment i think though.

I just could not run a mud tire in our winters, no thanks. I also wanted something quieter than my previous Duratracs.

https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/open-country-ct-all-terrain-all-weather?context-breakpoints=desktop_frontpage,interior_desktop_page
I would order a set of the CT if they would make a 37" version, and run them when I go to the mountains in the winter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand why anyone would switch from something as proven as the Toyo MT. They are beyond proven, I have seen them tortured.
The same reason we switched to toyo m/t when they first came out. just wondering if something 'better' has come out. I dont think so..yet

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run Toyo CT's, wear well so far (about 50k kms) and are pretty quiet. They are only available in Canada at the moment i think though.

I just could not run a mud tire in our winters, no thanks. I also wanted something quieter than my previous Duratracs.

I would try them also if they made em in 37's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you dead set on a M/T, or would you consider an aggressive A/T? The Toyo AT/II Extremes I had were an amazing tire. I want to try the Cooper S/T Maxx next.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Are you dead set on a M/T, or would you consider an aggressive A/T? The Toyo AT/II Extremes I had were an amazing tire. I want to try the Cooper S/T Maxx next.
I did not have good luck with the st maxx, they looked aggressive but did not perform well In the snow or ice. Tried several different air pressures as well. I would not recommend them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My problem - if you can call it that - is that the only tires that 'fit' my truck are 37 or 40 x 13.5's. I have fiberglass +4in wide body kit front and read. My truck isnt 'lifted' but the suspension prob gives the body about a 3in in raise.

There are alot of killer tires out there if you can use 35's but when you go to 37's and need a strong sidewall e tire then the choices are minimal for a m/t that is road friendly and proven to wear well on blacktop.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Nothing wrong with sticking with what works, and YES, siping a mud tire turns them into a more than acceptable snow tire.
Typically I'll only sipe the center 2 or 3 rows of tread blocks leaving the outside blocks solid for better wear for cornering.
he only increased wear I saw was hauling a 4000lb + truck camper. That took it's toll quicker on the rear tires, but they were at max load for thousands of miles.

FWIW, I believe siping turns most any tire into a good snow tire. I bought an ultra cheap set of Firestone MTs last year to fit the 20" wheels I have now. Siped the center treads. Had no problem pulling a large trailer up n down forest roads that required me to chain up previously with the crappy OE AT tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I siped mine center lugs and the inside part of the edge lugs. At 45 degrees. Will be more careful on rocky roads. I sure like the feel of the siped ride!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts