Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2020 RAM Cummins 2500. Thought it would tow over 19k. Did a little research and found it only tows a little over 17k. I want to tow a14k fiver. Wondering if it will tow ok in the Rocky Mountains. What do you think

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not to sound like a wiseass, but if it tows a little over 17k and youre only towing 14k, whats the issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously it should pull easy on the flat lands but how is it going to pull going up I-70 in the mountains at a 6 or 7% grade ? That’s all I’m asking

·
Registered
437 Posts
Strange how I put in my vin # and it read out a tow rating of 19,200 lbs.

You are asking about engine power. The engine is super powerful in all the models. Same engine with a few tweaks for the 35-5500's. It will pull like all the others.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not to be the "weight police" or anything but you're 14K 5th wheel will have at least a 2800lb pin weight which will put you over the GVW of a 3/4 ton truck. That being said, I was towing a 5th wheel that had a GVW of 15,900lbs with my 2012 Ram 2500. Had airbags and it did great. Always worried about if I got in an accident my insurance could be voided since it was over the weight rating of my truck. Bought a SRW F-350 and thought I was good. Took to the scale and found out I was still 400lbs over the GVW on that. This was with the hitch, one 20lb bottle of propane, my wife, 15 year old daughter and myself in the truck. That was it. Bought a new 5th wheel a couple of months ago that has a GVW of 16,800lbs which I knew was way over my truck capacity. Towed it once and although the truck did just fine, last week I bought a 2019 Ram 3500 dually.

Do what you want but I'll tell you that I wish I would've either bought a lighter trailer (we really love the one we have now though) or just bought the right truck to begin with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's what I'm asking. Will it pull a trailer up in the mountains without burning up the tranny or over heating the engine. I don't need to go 80 miles an hour up the mountain but i don't want to be crawling either. I did a vin check and it said it could tow 17860 with a cargo weight of 2260. So i will keep the pin weight under 1500lbs. So we will be keeping the fiver under 12k. Thanks for all the feedback

Reactions: 10%more

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You won’t hurt the motor. Ise your tow haul and keep the revs up. It’ll help your trans. But in stock form it should be fine. With my 2500, pin weight of 2500lbs ish puts me level. It’s over truck gvwr but that don’t bother me. The axle is the same as a 3500. Just the coils are different.

If you find you want a little more ease. You can regear. Do you know what you have for gears now?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have 3.73. I have never towed a 5th wheel so i am just trying to see what other people are towing in the rockies to see how the truck will do towing

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Yes that's what I'm asking. Will it pull a trailer up in the mountains without burning up the tranny or over heating the engine. I don't need to go 80 miles an hour up the mountain but i don't want to be crawling either. I did a vin check and it said it could tow 17860 with a cargo weight of 2260. So i will keep the pin weight under 1500lbs. So we will be keeping the fiver under 12k. Thanks for all the feedback"

Just an FYI a 5th wheel usually has 20-25% pin weight. So a 12,000lb trailer would still probably put you around 2,400-3,000lbs.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so there is another question. Do you trust what the trailer companies say is their tongue wt. Is it accurate? We are looking at a fiver that weighs 11,400 with a tongue weight of 1500. but if you do the math 20% of 11,400 is 2280. So who do you believe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go through a scale, I'm sure you're heavier than you think. This is my 3500 SRW with a 35' toy hauler 5th wheel. It does fine but I probably should have a dually. Full tank, firewood, 4passengers, etc... I put disc brakes on my camper and it stops much better. Yours will pull ok, take your time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cummins0867
2,646 Posts
so there is another question. Do you trust what the trailer companies say is their tongue wt. Is it accurate? We are looking at a fiver that weighs 11,400 with a tongue weight of 1500. but if you do the math 20% of 11,400 is 2280. So who do you believe

As everyone discovers with a 5th wheel or gooseneck, you will reach the GVWR of the truck long before you will reach the GCWR of the truck. Especially the 2500 trucks.

Most RV manufacturers talk about the dry weight which is a useless and fictitious number.

The tongue weight of 5th wheel trailers vary greatly, including how you load it, where the tanks are and how much water in the tanks, how much stuff you and your wife stuff in it, etc, etc..

The 20% approximation of the 5th wheels GVWR is a good guideline for pin weight.

Our small 30 foot 5th wheel has a GVWR of 10k lbs but the pin weight is always 1900-2000lbs.
The gross weight of our trailer is always over 9900lbs
I have confirmed the weights numerous times at road side scales.

Reactions: Lins and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Noticed you live in Colorado.

I tow at the north end of this range.

Wouldnt be caught dead without a 1ton diesel towing heavy through this range. It eliminated any doubt, and makes towing a pleasure.

Reactions: rkymntsno

·
Registered
219 Posts
I pulled the trailer below over Monarch Pass, during a heat wave, after a long day of towing over other grades and peaks, with a 2005 Ford V10 with 126,000 miles. It had new spark plugs though - LOL.

So, I wouldn't be worried about towing with a new truck with much more torque, unless the Fiat/Peugeot trucks can't handle the heat like a 15 year old Ford.

FWIW, all the other white trucks were firefighters headed home to Oregon after providing mutual assistance for 3 weeks in Colorado during the wildfires in 2018.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will pull it but it wasn’t made to support the weight. You will be over on payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you will be fine. I also think as others have pointed out you will likely exceed the truck’s GVWR because of the pin weight.

I have been towing a 13k dry and likely 16k loaded 5er with my 2500 for a few years all over California and western states. If does just fine up the grapevine and 101 north of Santa Barbara, plus I-15 to and from Vegas. I have the stock 3.42 gearing and 68RFE. The water temp will increase but cool right down when the fan kicks in. I know I exceed my GVWR and towing capacity regularly. I feel I am within axle capacity and I know the engine can handle it because as others have said this is the same engine that they put in the heavier duty versions of this truck.

The weight police will tell you I am playing Russian roulette every time I tow but I think that is a tad extreme.

As far as braking ability goes my truck weighs 8,200 pounds empty and the mass of my 2500 should be no less capable of stopping my trailer than a 3500. As my trailer repair shop owner tells me “the truck brakes stop the truck and the trailer brakes stop the trailer”. If your trailer brakes are adjusted correctly it shouldn’t matter how heavy it is because the trailer will stop itself. But, do not assume they are adjusted correctly just because it is a brand new trailer. In my case I thought for a long time that my Ram brake controller was bad because I could feel the trailer pushing the truck under braking but on my first change to new drums on my trailer that were installed and adjusted by a guy that knows what he is doing I actually had to dial back the gain on my Ram because the brakes were able to lock up. (and I had already had the old ones checked by a suspension place that clearly was not good).

So again, will your truck be able to pull your trailer with no issue? I think so. Will you be over the GVWR—very likely and that is the debate that rages on these pages all the time and never ends. Personally, I have a hard time believing that 500 or even 1,000 pounds of GCWR (or somewhere between 2 and 4 percent of a trucks rated capacity) all of a sudden makes it unsafe but that is just my opinion. Many people smarter than me say the 10,000 GVWR is artificially low to stay under commercial specs in most states and it would certainly seem that way based on the specs of the axles but others will say swapping out coils or factory air bags for factory leaf springs will get you 2,500 pounds of increased capacity.

I say you will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the education. Not sure if I mentioned it above, but we are still shopping for a fiver that we probably won’t get until next year. So I will try and stay on the lighter side. But if we find something that we can’t live without I can add bags or leaf assist springs and still have the smooth daily driver.
just took the 7000 TT for a ride and the new 2020 Bighorn 2500 did not disappoint! Went on a 30 minute ride where it gets pretty steep. Temp got to 212 and tranny got to 167. The 04.5 using same trailer and same road temp would climb to 217 and tranny would hit 210-215. And I would have been going 20 miles slower in the old dodge. I’m sold. So far love the new RAM!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts