Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much the 2017 Ram with the 6.7 Turbo Diesel really Tow. Im buying a fifth wheel and don't want to ruin my truck.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
If the Ram data says 17,170 it would be smart to stay below that. But there are a lot of variables.
Your 3.42 gears is probably your worst enemy here.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My skid steer and trailer scale in at little over 20k. My 16’ 2500 pulls it nicely. Lower gearing would be alright. But Most my miles are truck only so 3.42 and 6th isn’t bad for quick cruising.

Keep in mind I can control my hitch weight with load placement. You won’t have that ability with a tt and would be more at risk of going over the rear gawr of the truck with too much hitch weight.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you want to follow numbers written down, then the door sticker of payload and gvwr will be your limiting factor. My 2500 gvwr is 10k lb and tares in like 8500lbs. So that leaves 1500 lb pin weight. I don’t own a travel trailer but that isn’t a massive one if I had to guess.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 2015 2 door 4wd, is the 10,000 gvwr, and it , stock, scaled at exactly 7,500lbs, and since parts fell off, the 2500 bed weight went up. Havent scaled it since parts fell off. I could be wrong, but I beleave towing is 17,600.
Im not saying its right, but do have a friend that has a 2015 4wd long bed mega cab, all the bells and whistles. He is 1,000 or more over his bed limit and probably over his towing limit, and has no problems at all. As long as he gets in no accidents. He did have to put air bags on his air suspention. Said he dropped it on and the factory air said no way, and the dash lit up light a xmass tree.
This is what happens when you bring the wife with to drop the camper off to get work done to it, and leave with a new biiiggggger one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 2015 2 door 4wd, is the 10,000 gvwr, and it , stock, scaled at exactly 7,500lbs, and since parts fell off, the 2500 bed weight went up. Havent scaled it since parts fell off. I could be wrong, but I beleave towing is 17,600.
Im not saying its right, but do have a friend that has a 2015 4wd long bed mega cab, all the bells and whistles. He is 1,000 or more over his bed limit and probably over his towing limit, and has no problems at all. As long as he gets in no accidents. He did have to put air bags on his air suspention. Said he dropped it on and the factory air said no way, and the dash lit up light a xmass tree.
This is what happens when you bring the wife with to drop the camper off to get work done to it, and leave with a new biiiggggger one.

LOL. Your married too huh?

My wife and I, talking about upgrading our RV, and shopping at the RV dealer, and picking our new one.

When you bring your wife to the dealership.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im single and travel full time. So I have no good girl to tell me I need a bigger camper, I am actually thinking of downsizing to go where the big boys cant get to.
My friend I was mentioning, has lots of money. So he could get a bigger truck.
We were having adult beverages at a place, and I was telling him of my wet dream of retiring and travel till I meet a nice girl to tell me what I need to do. He said go for it, (you cant get time back) Then, he was 70, and said we have over a million dallars that we haven't even thought of touching yet. So, yep, go small, go cheep, go now.
Back to payload and towing, is why I ordered a 2 door cummins, so when I meet said girl ill let tell me what to do, maybe, ill need a bigger camper and can keep the truck.
( 2 door truck, just enough room for a small dog and 2 little Asian girls)
Three seat belts and 9 cup holders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts