Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the last few days I've participated in a couple of posts (and started another of my own trying figure out why I wasn't building much boost) that brought up the discussion of towing using increased HP/TQ levels.

My question in all of them is why not use the power available to us with our "off road" tuners?

Several folks here have said they ONLY tow ("tow" meaning pulling trailers, not sleds) in the lower power or stock modes. I maybe be being naive here, but I don't understand why.

For 15 years, I drove a '93 12 valve, and towed many different sized loads. The drivetrain components were overall much weaker than our current trucks, and the protections when tuned/turned up were non-existent. I NEVER had a failure/problem in all those years. My truck was pretty well tuned, and could smoke out any intersection, and would pull every load I tried, but the safety factor was totally my responsibility, and dependent on my knowledge of the parameters that could lead to problems.

I guess my curiosity about the folks that "won't" tow with their truck turned up, is why go through the expense/hassle of buying the tuners, if they won't use them when it could be the most useful. I do realize that many here don't use their trucks to tow (and maybe not even use their trucks as trucks), but for those who do, again, why not use the available power?

Is it an inability to exercise restraint in their right foot, or simply a lack of knowledge of the "danger" levels (EGT's, boost, trans/coolant temps, drive pressure)?

I've always had to relay on my knowledge of those factors, and my restraint, to be sure my truck got my load to and from its destination, and I 've always assumed that others did the same. I don't see a problem with using the greater power available to us with these new trucks, and have been towing doing so for the last 6 months with out problem.

That all being said, what are others doing? Am I the in the minority, or have I just heard from those who are not willing to risk anything?

I'd love to hear back from anyone, but especially those towing heavy with "tuned" motors, and their experiences, and the pros & cons of doing so, or not doing so.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Your 93 turned up probably put out half of what these trucks put out. I think people enjoy the longevity of the trucks and towing heavy with a heck of alot more power Is just shortening the life span. Truck was designed to tow at xx amount power not xx+150. Gets to expensive for the average joe who wants to have a 500-600 hp heavy hauler.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i always tow with it turned up, its all about controlling the power, most of which do not understand the heat/strain extended up hill pulls with the higher levels can do. i think its about moderation.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You are probably hearing from a lot of them with stock autos. The 68 won't handle much over stock power. Especially with pulling a load of any kind. Tuning the 68 does help with shifting and line pressure but I still don't tow anything with the MM being above 60Hp. Yeah, I'm sceert of smoking my tranny.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
My 5th wheel weighs 15,500 pounds. Half the miles on my truck are in front of that trailer. I always tow on 60hp. Anything higher my EGTs climb too fast, and the tranny starts getting hot.

Daily driving I am also almost exclusively on the 60hp tune. I find the truck has more than enough power, and smoking out an intersection is far from my priority list. I like how my truck runs on that tune for all my needs, so that is where it stays.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
:stirpot:
I'm sure it's because if they pull up next to us on the big hills they want to have a easy excuse of why they couldn't walk away from us... p.s. my clutch slip helps keep the egt's down. :thumbsup:

·
4,673 Posts
The guys that tow ( alot ) arent building huge HP trucks with ALL the supporting mods that are capable of using tons of extra power...

There are a few guys that do but, most of us dont want to throw an extra 200 + HP at a basically stock truck and hook up 15,000 to it and drag it all over the place.

If a guy wants to tow with a huge amount of HP, there has to be several mods done to the truck to ensure it survives...IMHO.

The transmissions , auto and manual, are the weakest part of these dodge trucks and without an upgrade, we will destroy them quick when we throw HP at them and tow alot...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
:agree2: I've towed on 100 hp but I find it hard to go easy on the
skinny pedal when the dmax with the jet ski in tow wants to roll on
the throttle beside you, And your friend says you going to let them
get away with that....
Nobody wants to find a weak link 500 miles from home at
65ft. and 25,000 lbs.
It's your choice...
The cummins will hold up..... but the dodge won't.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
:agree2: I've towed on 100 hp but I find it hard to go easy on the
skinny pedal when the dmax with the jet ski in tow wants to roll on
the throttle beside you, And your friend says you going to let them
get away with that....
Let em roll. As long as I can hold the speed limit, or a little better, I'm happy with that. It's usually those same douche bags that pass by at 80 mph to prove how superior their truck is, that drop to 35 if it's anything but a straight road.

I run on mild pretty much all the time. Has more than enough power, gets decent mileage and I don't have to worry much about drive pressures, EGT's, and transmission failure.

Jason

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I pull a 13500lb toyhauler and can pass at will on just about any climbs. I only run stock when pullin. It does what I want with ease. I bought my tuner to run code free and to get the OD tune. I think some feel they are gaining mpg by running the bigger tunes while towing. To me you may gain 1 to 2 mpg. At that rate it is going to take along time to pay for a tranny.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
For me it would simply be to gain more MPG out of the different parimeters the tuner offers and possibly less down time due to the emissions equipement giving me troubles. I could care less for more power while towing with the 6.7, it has more then enough capability to pull any hill at speed without a tuner and of course the added expense it would take to make the truck capable of pulling a hill with more power then stock already gives.

If you truely understand your truck and the dynamics of power vs. cost use your transmission. I mean you have 6 gears and the 6.7 is capable of pulling just about any hill/mountain without a tuner and at enforced speed. I simply don't need the headache extra power can bring on in a situation that stock power will perform perfect at.

See the trucks in my signature. I've had more problems with modified trucks then I ever had with a stock truck. :rof In fact I never had any problems with a stock truck until others started telling me I will if I don't do this and that to my truck. That's when I started having troubles with my trucks, when they became modified. :rof

Grew up on a farm pulling and towing some thing just about every day with every type of equipement on the farm. I know how to tow and what breaks parts!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Why do I need to go so fast with a 10k trailer and 2 full size quads on the back? I don't need to show anybody how big my willy is through how much smoke in roll
:)

Chris

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I tow using stock power. I am sure I could jump up to the wild or mild and not have a problem, but I don't need the extra juice. I can run the hills at speed and with the trailer in tow, I am never in a hurry.

Coming home from hunting on Friday I looked back in the mirror and saw a 3rd and 4th gen pulling their TTs catching up to me. All three of us hooked up going through some slow curves in the mountains. I, not being in a hurry, stayed the speed limit the whole time. We finally reached a passing section and both of them steamed past me with the 4th gen staying in the left lane trying to get passed the 3rd gen. Seeing both of their trailers and relizing they were probably only hauling 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight I was, I didn't worry. I was still maintaining the speed limit. Three to four miles later I reached a city and low and behold guess who was in front of me at the stop light?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Three to four miles later I reached a city and low and behold guess who was in front of me at the stop light?
Hahahaha

That's how it always works weather I do that or the other guy does...

so it's kind of down to "is it worth the fuel" and my answer is usually "nope"

Stupid stoplights though. They always screw me when I am actually in a hurry. :rof:

Edit: BTW I forgot to add to this discussion. I always tow on stock weather it's my light 3k boat or the 5er. Either way stock does just fine

-Powder Keg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome reply's so far. Some definitely thoughtful.......and sensible. Thanks.

I agree with those who say that stock is adequate most of the the time. I've got 100k on my 3.5 year old truck, and 90% of that was totally stock. I towed many loads (large and small), and I too felt like it had more than enough power most of the time.

As my signature states I've done a few of those upgrades mentioned to make it a little safer on the vehicle (SBC clutch, Gorilla Juice in the G56, Mag HyTec diff cover and greater fluid capacity), and while these won't keep my motor from burning up, or keep me from scattering the tranny or rear axle with a bad shift, they should help keep the "wear & tear" issue somewhat minimized.

My mentioning of my old truck smoking out an intersection was supposed to be indicative of being powered up, not of my trying being a teenager. :doh: In those days, in order to get HP & TQ, you had to get smoke (especially with a 16cm turbo housing (tons of boost/air, but took a LONG time to spool up).

As in everything, to each his own. I'd love to hear more.........

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I currently run .11 tune with the mini and have towed 17k trailer, plus 2 cars inside from chattanooga TN to Amarrillo TX down I-40 and never had any problems still got 13 mpg running 70 mph :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I have been running the MILD setting while towing my 18k 5th wheel. As others have indicated, its all about moderating the pressure on the skinny pedal.

Mind you, I maintain 65mpg while towing, so it's not about speed. I use the extra oomph for hill climbing and getting more boost/power from a dead stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haul 10k max with my hypertech tune all the way up with a heavy foot. Only thing I ever noticed was my engine temp was higher than normal when I'm pushing the truck hard it was also a hot day tho.. I have an electric line pressure booster on the trans . Never had any issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bringing this back up...

I am running the XRT Pro on the "Wild" (120hp) tune right now. I was planning to drop back down to the "Mild" (60hp) tune when I pick up my boat and haul it 1,000 miles next week.
I don't beat on the truck really. Rarely see over 2k rpms. Should I move down to the "Mild" tune when I'm pulling the boat or even back to Stock power?

Boat and trailer weigh in around 7k lbs. Will have 4 adults in the cab, not that it probably matters.

What is considered a "Heavy" load for these trucks in the real world?

Mods in my sig. Stock trans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts