Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i Hooked up my 25' gooseneck flatbed trailor and loaded up my jeep to head to the mud run, and i could hardley drive down the road at 60mph with any kind of slope with out the egt's wanting to jump way over 1200*. I just recently loaded 4.2 on my smarty and i was on sw7 but i stoped and loaded up sw1 and it was still hard to keep her cool going up any hill.

So what do i need to be able to tow on like sw3?

The trailer and jeep maybe weigh 8000 pounds....not that much....

·
Registered
97 Posts
auto or manual? you have 35" tires, what gearing? Smarty 4.2 is a aggressive tune stock injectors, turbo?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a manual, i believe they are 3.55. stock sticks and turbo. thinking about bigger turbo or stacking with s400 or something like that.

Your right it is a very aggressive tune but id think on sw1 i could still tow, just need something to keep me cooler

I tried running in a lower gear to keep boost up but didnt seem to help

·
Registered
485 Posts
What are you making for boost?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can get it to around 35psi but it was running around 15-20psi on the flat stuff

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Put an mp-8 and an s400 on there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
s400 single? or twin with my stock? and how will the mp8 help me, ive already got a lot of tune? dont know much about the mp8

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
s400 single? or twin with my stock? and how will the mp8 help me, ive already got a lot of tune? dont know much about the mp8
s400 + stocker. The mp-8 won't raise the EGT's. It raises the injection pressure which atomizes the fuel better and speeds up the combustion process, which helps to get all the fuel burned before the exhaust valves open. This allows your engine to extract the maximum amount of energy potential of the fuel to do work on the piston rather than heating up your exhaust valves, exhaust manifold, and turbo.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
your over fueled for your turbo sounds like. Good tow would be 50hp stix and a 62mm turbo. Little more sac would be a 64mm and 90 hp s. Twins are the best of both but money will be a bigger issue. there are good deals in the classified section for turbos. check with FTE for some nozzles for your injectors. The MP8 is a pressure box. adds pressure to your injectors. I wouldn't suggest it on stock nozzles and no fuel rail gauge. It also adds timing.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The mp-8 DOES NOT directly add timing. It does not cause the injectors to fire any earlier. What happens is: The injectors fire at the same point in the cycle, but the fuel burns faster since it is atomized better. This INDIRECTLY adds timing. It can be stacked with the smarty or any other downloader, and is fine to run with stock injectors since it is adjustable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
get a r/p gauge on there, 4.2 has aggressive r/p on it's own.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive got a RP and Fuel Preasure gauge thats supose to be here this week. How would a set of 75 horse nozzles do for me? Which mod do you think i should start with first (nozzles, turbo, mp-8)? Cant spend the green all in one month....as i should update my clutch b4 long...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ive got a RP and Fuel Preasure gauge thats supose to be here this week. How would a set of 75 horse nozzles do for me? Which mod do you think i should start with first (nozzles, turbo, mp-8)? Cant spend the green all in one month....as i should update my clutch b4 long...
The turbo will be the most effective in lowering temps, so start there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kinda what i was thinking, guess ill start there...any recomendations?

·
Banned
5,586 Posts
So yesterday i Hooked up my 25' gooseneck flatbed trailor and loaded up my jeep to head to the mud run, and i could hardley drive down the road at 60mph with any kind of slope with out the egt's wanting to jump way over 1200*. I just recently loaded 4.2 on my smarty and i was on sw7 but i stoped and loaded up sw1 and it was still hard to keep her cool going up any hill.

So what do i need to be able to tow on like sw3?

The trailer and jeep maybe weigh 8000 pounds....not that much....
You need more airflow buddy. Do you have an aftermarket CAI or is it a replacement filter? If you are still using the stock box, drill some 1" holes in the bottom. Switch out your restrictive intake elbow for one that is free flowing. Looks like you still have the stock exhaust? Replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket.

Also, you have the 03 so I am pretty sure you can benifit from going to the 04.5 and newer turbo and downpipe. Do some searching on that. You should be able to get one for a very reasonable price.

I disagree with the statemtent that the MP-8 will not increase EGT's. That is not what I have observed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive got a full afe pro 7 CAI and straight 5" exahust (well 4" dp into 5"). Yea i know theyve got a bigger turbo, but if im gunna put the money out im goin aftermarket. What about an exahust manifold, I hear it runs the back cylinders hott. Also ive seen guys on here put the 2nd gen manifold and bigger turbo on...whats your thoughts on that

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I disagree with the statemtent that the MP-8 will not increase EGT's. That is not what I have observed.
I do not run my mp-8 with the smarty on anything over 3, so maybe you are running more fuel than me. I noticed a decrease in EGT at a given power/acceleration/cruising speed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
4.2 is probably not the best program to pull anything with. It is all race programing with only minor differences between 1 and 9. Some claim to have better results with 1 than 9, so if it were me I would try and load 4.4 (designed for towing) or load up standard revo on 3 or 5and try that. Also anything over a 62 turbo is not going to be good for towing. My silver 62 does ok, but takes to long to spool and EGT's can get very toasty when towing, especially on the interstate when towing at 70 boost is only at around 6 pounds, that is not flowing enough air to cool it down. 1st step though before you go and spend a bunch of money is just try a program that is not so agressive. The highest EGT's my truck has seen towing or not was with Beta 4.2, just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would agree and say stay away from pressure boxes. Atleast until our injectors could be found on ebay for 3-400 like the second gens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.