Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

towing with a tuner

4256 16
Hello all,
I'll be leaving thursday for a 6hr ride to Hershy pa. I'll be dragging my loaded 34' 5th wheel behind me for the 1st time on a longer trip. I usually camp locally at family property and only tow the trailer about 20 min at a time, so this will be a new experience for me and the truck. I have an efi autocal light from Anarchy diesel with 5" flo pro turbo back exhaust. I run it on a normal basis on street and hot street to go back and forth to work and to beat around town. I average @ 18 to 21 mpg and I like the truck at these settings although when I jump on it here and there, the trans seems to dislike the settings. When I hook the 5th wheel to take it camping locally I dont change the tune, I just change my driving style a bit because I know the trans wont like the power with a load that big on the back. So I just kinda take it easy on it for that 20 min ride to where I camp locally. I was just wondering what tune people are running successfully on longer trip?? I have towed the 5th wheel on tow setting, but the truck seems sluggish and it seems to take awhile for the turbo to kick in and give the truck the extra power to perform. I've heard of people running street and someone even running hot street before, but I don't wanna hurt the truck. Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I'm new to diesels and the 5th wheel is new to me also. Thanks!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Tow on the mildest tune possible..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I did a site search during alot of free time at work and it seems that most recommend taking the tune off or the towing tune. Especially seeing that I have no gauges to watch temps. Another question I have is, when I switch tunes does it reset the tcm so it has to re-learn your driving/shifting patterns and points? If so should I let it re-learn in tow tune without a load and with out the trailer tow button on so that when I unhook down in pa. it doesn't shift hard on up shifts and down shifts? Or do I want to throw the tow tune on right before I leave, and let it re-learn under load, and possibly just retune when I arrive at the campsite?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that efi live doesn't change trans shift pionts or tune the tcm, but I thought that maybe because the PCM is being reset with more or less hp the tcm has to re-learn to handle those changes. I'm probably wrong, that's why I asked. The 5th wheel weighs in just under 10,000lbs dry. We will be loading it up with our crap, minus water and the holding tanks are empty, so I figure another 1,000lbs maybe? So 11,000lbs I'll be towing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Phil when towing where are good egts to sustain? Also what would you consider bad/dangerous?

·
Registered
5 Posts
A great way to keep EGTs down, increase fuel economy, and give your truck more power in the lower engine load states before your turbo is spooled is water-meth! Our MPG max kit acts as a EGT and Boost gauge also!

The water-meth will pick the truck up and keep EGTs in check when your towing long distances especially if you are running a tune.

If you have any questions about water-meth there are a lot of forum members running our stuff.

Thanks,
Snow Performance Tech

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geeze, for some reason my email didn't update me on all these new posts. Thanks everyone for the help. I towed 5hr and 45min down to hershey pa last thurs, and back home on monday. I figure the 5th wheel was loaded to about 11,000lbs. I ran the street tune in the truck. It had nice power and yanked the 5th wheel no problem. Again I have no gauges, so I took it easy while climimg hills and didnt "push" the truck much at all. Wish I had the cash to do some upgrades!! I couldn't imagine how good this truck would perform with a new upgraded trans, some head studs, and maybe a few other add ons bolted onto her. The trans was a handful at times. I had it in trailer tow mode, but it shifted terribly and was harsh will coasting down hills and coming to a stop, and then at times it was in too high of a gear while cruising for the power the motor was throwing at it and it would start to chatter. So I ended up manually shifting the truck alot. Over all though I'm very impressed with the truck compared to my previous gasser f150.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice, glad that it went well for you. Once you get some cash you should send that tcm to B&G diesel, their tune did wonders for mine will help what you are complaining about.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tow constantly 10k - 16k..
Changed the TCM to a programmed one from Matt -Dragonian out of Amarillo
added larger tranny pan.. ( I also drain trans fluid every 30K)
Also have the deletes and EFI
Truck is great shifts excellent. I highly recommend upgrading the trans TCM and pan...
for towing..
Been in Wy UT CO no high egt temps no temp over 180 on trans.
Running 1800-2000 rpm with 3:73 gears

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could get the trans tuned!! I have the cash, just can't be without my truck for 4to 5 days to send my tcm and get it back. I do need to change the trans fluid soon, and It would be a good time to add the pan. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
I wish I could get the trans tuned!! I have the cash, just can't be without my truck for 4to 5 days to send my tcm and get it back. I do need to change the trans fluid soon, and It would be a good time to add the pan. Thanks for the advice!
There is a buy and sell program where cores are on hand at times but they are a hot item.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.