Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Towing weight

2151 12
Hey guys, i have an 05 2500 quad cab 4 wheel drive, im looking for a toy hauler, i'm looking at an 05 35 foot gearbox that has a loaded weight just shy of 15000 lbs, ill mainly be towing flat land but there is a grade 7% for about 4 miles, obviously ill need air bags, guages, i have an intake and probably do my exhaust, can i pull this trailer without messing up my truck? And safely? Thanks guys
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You can tow it. But think about what it's gonna be like when you have a drive tire blow while cruising at 65mph with that weight behind ya.

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Some of us use our trucks for that weight and more daily, so the truck is capable. Safety depends on you. I do have to say that if you don't have any experience with trailers that a 35 ft toyhauler will provide a vertical learning curve.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Your single biggest limitation is going to be rear tires/wheels. You need to see what the pin weight will be, as well as what your rear weight is now and find out if your withing the tire/wheel limits.

Intake/Exhaust won't really do anything to help you tow better, the stock setup on your 05 is more than plenty for 450 rwhp on the intake side, and 600+ on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just figured the intake/exhaust will help with egts, i've towed a 23 ft boat alot, nothing 35 footbut im sure with practice i could handle the length and maybe tow it without the water snd fuel until i get to my destination which will probably save a lot of weight

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just figured the intake/exhaust will help with egts, i've towed a 23 ft boat alot, nothing 35 footbut im sure with practice i could handle the length and maybe tow it without the water snd fuel until i get to my destination which will probably save a lot of weight
15K is a little heavy for a 2500, at least for me. Definitely go dry :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a good idea but why would i go buy a trailer and weigh it to find out it isnt safe? Why is it so difficult to find weights on the trailers on the internet?

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
That would be a good idea but why would i go buy a trailer and weigh it to find out it isnt safe? Why is it so difficult to find weights on the trailers on the internet?
You posted the weight that you think the trailer weighs loaded, but a better gauge is the trailer's GVWR. There is tons of info about towing within and outside the manufacturer's recommendations on the net. Only you can decide if the limits are real or bogus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay. Slow down a bit. You don't want to make the same expensive mistake I did.

There is info on FifthWheelSt.com com that will help you understand what to look for as to what your truck can handle. Find your truck in the towing guide. Pay attention to your truck's certification label. Don't look for information about the RV on the internet. Read the certification label on the RV, that's what counts. I learned that the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Just as info: Water 8.34 lbs. per gallon. Fuel: 7.15 per gal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tow a 29ft toyhauler loaded with four quads fuel and water to where i go riding with no issues, my friend has a 35' 5th wheel with a 2005 ford f250 with the crappy a$$ 6.0, he cant move as fast as I can but if he can do it, im sure the dodge would have no issues.......just my two pennys

·
Registered
2004 2500 555/5600 RWD QC/LB
3,376 Posts
Exhaust brake. And all the rest above.

It's easy to exceed tire, wheel and axle load limits. Never do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.