Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant find answer. can i tow with a 66? i tow 23 round bales of hay at a time. also would like to pull sled every now and then. all input is greatly apprecaited. thanks! :thumbsup

·
Registered
99 Posts
towing with a 66

Yes you can tow with a silver bullet66. Really what i would ask you is how far you tow and what are your expectations of "towing". I tow with a custom hx50 that is a 71mm with a 17 cm housing. My brother tows with his II66. But i do have to drive differently when i tow with mine and that is why they say you cant because it may not be ideal. I hauled over 20,000 on the trailer the other day with no engine fan (stupid selanoid burnt out again). I wouldnt want to head through the mountains though with out water. If your terms of towing involve say hook up to a gooseneck trailer and heading to california then i would say no because it would diffinatly slow you down and use more fuel. If you like me though here in the flatlands, i wouldnt worry too much about it. Hope this helps alittle. Tim

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
realistically...it will take some time to spool so getting up to speed might take some time and your EGTs will spike...i think you will be better off with a 64

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys.

·
Registered
99 Posts
bigblue, is it not true that compressor size has relatively little to do with spool up. I thought it had more to do with the turbine side. A smaller turbine wheel will spool faster than a big one. Correct me if i am wrong. Tim

·
Registered
383 Posts
they are connected to each other (turbine and compressor) and so the increased reciprocating weight and drive pressure needed for the larger compressor wheel is what makes the difference, the same way the 66 pulls more air and boost for a longer time and more rpm,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rocksolidcummins, i agree alittle with what you said but the 2 mm differences in the compressors you will not be able to notice compared the mm diffs on the turbine side. The phat shafts use the 65 mm turbine wheel compared to the 74 mm turbins on the silver series. That diff you will notice. So for example the htt sledpuller is a 66/65/14. It will spool way faster than than the 66/71/14 or 66/74/14 but it will lack for flow on top end. Also the pitch of the blades will make a major differance too. I still stand behind what i said. Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts