Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be towing a 36 foot fifth wheel camper soon and was wondering what setup of mods should i run for max performance and mpg.
right now i have 6 inch stacks from 4 inch and bullydog with crazylarry.
what else would help me out i know an intake so what kind?

any help would be nice thanks jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
sorry double post

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need a good trans and converter. Air bags and a good exhaust brake.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Are your stacks going to make for clearance issues with the trailer?

You didn't indicate if you are short bed or long bed. I have a 44' enclosed gooseneck with a 16" offset pin and I can't turn my megacab shortbed full lock. Stacks would make the problem much worse....although you could consider them sacrificial and designed to crunch before you get to the cab.

·
Registered
411 Posts
im going to be towing a 36 foot fifth wheel camper soon and was wondering what setup of mods should i run for max performance and mpg.
right now i have 6 inch stacks from 4 inch and bullydog with crazylarry.
what else would help me out i know an intake so what kind?

any help would be nice thanks jason
an intake isnt going to make a huge diff. but might help with EGTs and such. i have an AirAid Mxp with the synthetic filter that i do like and was about 320$.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
A full intake won't give you anything you'll notice. But a Home Depot CAI, Airaid MIT, and GDP Intake horn will do a nice job in the low/mid range of providing more cool air, better spool, and improved throttle responce. Cost is about the same or lower than a CAI and a lot better results.

Airbags and exhaust brake were excellent suggestions. After using an exhaust brake you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.

Trans upgrades are quite important on an auto as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tips guys im look in to that intake horn
yes i have a long wheel base bed.
i was also thinking bout maybe changing up my whole setup? wondering if goin to like a 5 inch exhaust and a different programmer would help im trying to do stuff to where i dont have to break into my trans dont have the money for that right now.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Some good suggestions already...I would definitely lose the stacks though, you won't want to be blowing soot all over the front of your nice trailer! :doh:
I will be picking up my 36' 5th wheel soon and can relate to your questions. I have my truck pretty well set up already though. Still a few things left to do.
One other thing is you should get a set of gauges: trans temp, EGT, and boost.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
^^^^Kindaddy is absolutly correct about the stacks. Lose em! Even if you can't actually see the soot, the residue from the exhaust will actually degrade the gel coat over time.
Ask anyone that has thier exhaust in front of the drive axle what that does to thier wheels.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OOOO NOOOO I GOT TO LOSE THEM :(
thats what i thought i would have to do

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way because I'm all about more power. I have a 39' fiver that I pull and do it with a BD set on tow. I also pull a 21' bass boat behind that. No need for more power. I say air bags are a good buy and also the brake.When you tow , turn the power down and the stock trans will do you just fine. I still pass the big trucks on the hills and a few cars too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
After towing my 13,000# 5er from Altantic to the Pacific a few times and going through the Rockies I was looking for the right upgrades.Found air bags w/adj shocks worked great for ride control for those large frost heaves on the interstate.Next was guages for trans temp,boost,and EGT, this helps you in stopping a few problems..Smarty works well for power and helps some on the EGT's.For EGT's I used the water/meth injection and at the same time you get a few extra ponies. For stopping a exhaust brake helps big time.The best for last, your trans. I feel a extra trans cooler w/fan helps keep the temp down when parking or in slow moving traffic.Then go for a better Torque converter(triple disc) with some upgrades to your accumulator and servo but watch out for the valve body upgrades..Im still fixing issues I have w/my VB (put a DTT VB kit in) bangs hard into 4th and LU so hard my turbo barks! and down shifts hard into 1st..Read posts on trans shifting hard or hard LU- look up under the search to find the good and bad on VB upgrades, the 2005 on up seem to have the most problems..

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yeah i would sell them and get a 5" exh. from RSD or pro flow

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
I would look into a different turbo than the stocker, go with 50HP tips, 4" TBE, an exhaust break, and a tuner of your choice.

I'd add airbags as well to help keep your truck level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts