Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take delivery of a Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L Megacab Laramie in June. I've never towed anything bigger than a mini U-Haul trailer before. Now I need to tow my wife's Honda Accord from Seattle to Texas. I plan on using a U-Haul Auto Transporter. Here's my questions:

1) How many inches of drop do you think I need for my ballmount? I've seen the adjustable ones. They look nice, but they're pricey.

2) Do I need a brake controller? The U-Haul website says that the trailer is equipped with an "Automatic hydraulic surge brake." I don't know what that is.

3) Many people here seem to think that the Prodigy is a good controller for what you spend. What else do I need to buy to make it work? I figured that I need the adapter. Etrailer.com sells circuit breakers, installations kits, etc. The truck comes stock with the 7-pin connector if I'm not mistaken. So do I not need to buy circuit breakers and all that other garbage?

Appreciate the info. Nice website you guys have here.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
U-haul trailers are equipped with surge brakes. When the truck decelerates the force of the trailer coming forward compresses a piston forcing brake fluid through the system.
They work pretty well if the brakes are adjusted correctly. In this case there is no need for a controller on your truck.

U-Haul uses a four pin electrical connector. An adaptor should come with your truck. Normal towing height is 18 inches from the ground to the top of the ball.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
you can get the correct reciever at the Uhaul shop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Look up under the bumper next to the hitch. My `06 was pre wired from the factory with a 4 pin connector, as well as the 6 pin on the bumper. I didn`t even know it was there and had been using an adapter, but when my other car hauler was down, I went to U Haul and the yard guy showed it to me. Look for yourself. He said they all come that way, but another yard guy may not be that savvy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used there auto transport trailer a lot. They tow nice. I use a adpater that goes from the 7 round to a 4 flat so i don't have to look for the factory wire under the truck. Get one with test leds in it. The adapter is like $15 at walmart. Reason I say get the one with the leds is when uhaul hooks up to your truck and thier wiring don't work you can prove to them your truck isn't the problem. Also if your toying a car be prepaired to clime out the window because you can't open the door when in the trailer even with the trailer fender folded down (some cars not all). They tow nice at 70 - 80 as well. I use a 3 1/4 drop

Rich:peelout

1 - 5 of 5 Posts