Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for turbo recommendations. I have a 07 6 speed 5.9 custom tuned with efi live. Mainly looking for a good reliable towing turbo. I have a stealth 64 on now and it does the job but wanting more towing power while being able to control egts a bit better. I tow anywhere from 5,000-15,000 lbs. Should I just throw a stock back in ? Any info would be appreciated. I do live at high elevation about 6000ft. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Might contact taterturbos he will build the size you want and uses his turbos on his trucks. I have a 62/65 and like it..
it spools like stock and lowered egts for me.. he would give you a better idea what's best for your need. Like all turbos some say they are great and some say they bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might contact taterturbos he will build the size you want and uses his turbos on his trucks. I have a 62/65 and like it..
it spools like stock and lowered egts for me.. he would give you a better idea what's best for your need. Like all turbos some say they are great and some say they bad.

Yea that’s the only thing holding me back from calling tater. I’ve heard really good reviews from some people and then others have been horrible. How long have you had the tater turbo ?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Gotta be at least 4 or 5 years , from what I hear he has better machines now. But they.cost more. If you don't live in a smog.check area.. get the on3 dual turbo kit. It will cost less and be better all around.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I’ve had my tater turbo going on 2 years this summer. I have the 67-67 and like it fine . Makes a great sound when spooling . My complaint about tater is that he need to be more careful on double checking turbos before they ship.

Mine the clamp that holes the two half’s of the turbo was very lose . The nut was about to fall off . It was also leaking exhaust pretty good around the back cause of the lose clamp. Tighten it up and the turbo spooled much better .

Problem two, and apparently this can happened to a lot of turbos . Is that the compressor housing was leaking boost. Enough so that when I was boost testing it , I could hear it and physically feel the leak. Had to borrow a snap ring set from my uncle cause the snap ring that holds the housing on was to big for my set. Pulled it off and had to put a small bead of Rtv on it and put it back together. After that it stopped the leak.

For the price I paid it for the turbo I guess I can over look that , assuming the turbo it replaced the fleece performance cheetah turbo is now 1,900$ and my tarter was 1450.

Tarter had a post on his Facebook page saying that the reason he had turbos blowing up was a set of defective turbine wheels if I recall. He has Since switch companies and the problem for the most part went away. I’ve also seem reviews of other similar turbos blowing up from other companies like
Calibrated power solutions. So I guess it can happen from time to time . My cheetah blew up but it lasted 7 years and I believe had a defective turbo wheel that cracked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve had my tater turbo going on 2 years this summer. I have the 67-67 and like it fine . Makes a great sound when spooling . My complaint about tater is that he need to be more careful on double checking turbos before they ship.

Mine the clamp that holes the two half’s of the turbo was very lose . The nut was about to fall off . It was also leaking exhaust pretty good around the back cause of the lose clamp. Tighten it up and the turbo spooled much better .

Problem two, and apparently this can happened to a lot of turbos . Is that the compressor housing was leaking boost. Enough so that when I was boost testing it , I could hear it and physically feel the leak. Had to borrow a snap ring set from my uncle cause the snap ring that holds the housing on was to big for my set. Pulled it off and had to put a small bead of Rtv on it and put it back together. After that it stopped the leak.

For the price I paid it for the turbo I guess I can over look that , assuming the turbo it replaced the fleece performance cheetah turbo is now 1,900$ and my tarter was 1450.

Tarter had a post on his Facebook page saying that the reason he had turbos blowing up was a set of defective turbine wheels if I recall. He has Since switch companies and the problem for the most part went away. I’ve also seem reviews of other similar turbos blowing up from other companies like
Calibrated power solutions. So I guess it can happen from time to time . My cheetah blew up but it lasted 7 years and I believe had a defective turbo wheel that cracked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I have heard the same about all of them. Some are great and last forever some only last 100 miles I guess it’s just luck of the draw

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Why would you want to bother with a questionable company??? I had an 03 HO 6spd with a TST PMCR and an II PS 62/65/14. I towed 15k in the mtns. and the turbo was perfectly sized and worked flawlessly... also great for the street. I like the BD IH on my 12 so much, I would check with them. Size it right and skip the wastegate... save weight, bulk and a few $100. The base IH kits don't have a wastegate and none is needed. The 2 piece manifold also helps with power.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
To be fair many turbos company's turbos fail, my friend had a top name turbo that he couldn't get get to spool properly. Company.said it was his truck. He got efi live and pro yuneing as they said it would fix it. It did not then company said it needs bigger injectors so he got them. After that they said maybe it's the turbo he paid shipping both ways and now it's fixed... At least tater will let you send the turbo in if you think that's the issue not make you do tuning and injectors prior to them allowing it sent back...
But call who you deal with and go from there.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I can't really see going from one modified stock turbo to another modified stock turbo. Seems like the gains would be pretty minimal, at best. You don't hear about BW turbos being hit or miss, either.

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
Anyone have any experience with reman stock turbos ? Or should I just try to stick with new
i dont care for reman turbos unless the customer is short on cash or it's an emergency. i would prefer to see you go with a new turbo if possible.
Clayton

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run the BD Iron Horn kit on my 06 as well. 63/72. Spools good, ill see 45 psi on a good romp. Egts never get above 1200 towing 10k +. Although your fuel setup and tuning play a big factor there as well.

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
Is holset still making the he351 turbos for the later 5.9s ?
yes sir if im not mistaken i should be able to locate a new oem unit if youd like.

The bd kit is another great option that alot of customers love to use like @thirstgen has. @TexNeck runs a bd on his set up as well granted his is a 6.7.

Clayton

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd NEVER replace a stock turbo with another one when a properly sized towing turbo is SOOO much better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd NEVER replace a stock turbo with another one when a properly sized towing turbo is SOOO much better.
I never planned on towing this much weight with the truck that’s why I left stock and wanted more power for being dumb on the weekends. Now I tow more and the stealth hasnt impressed me. Is there any turbo you suggest for my application

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Call some vendors and tell them what you have and what you want out of it. PDR advised me on my 97 215, Ind. Inj. advised me on my 03 HO and BD advised me on my 12 and I got perfectly sized towing turbos in every case. Don't forget to tell them about your elevation... you need to stay a little on the conservative side so it's not laggy. I don't know what a stealth 64 is, but you MIGHT already have a good one, IDK. Maybe you just need a different turbine.
I also use nothing but 14 turbines, even at my Co. elevation for cooler temps and more top end. My 03 HO 6spd 4.10 with the PS 62/65/14 handled my 15k 5er like a charm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Going back to a stock turbo won’t give you more power. It flows less than your stealth 64 and less air= less power. If you’re dealing with turbo lag I don’t think you’re going to like any other turbo unless you go to twins.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts