Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Towing Trans Temp?

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  lilbxl 
#1 ·
Just bought the truck, I am interested to know what trans temps you all are seeing while towing. I tow a 36' travel trailer but weighs under 10k loaded. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Do I hear bells?

Last I remember my trans was running pretty low, around 170.

I have to go pick up a toy hauler on Monday so I will check. It will be 90 miles or so highway.

Reactions: gsbrockman
#7 ·
2012 3500, pulling 16K 5th wheel. before adding a trans tune my average trans temps pulling the PA turnpike up into the Pocono Mtns in July average temp was 175 -180. But that with trans coolers and tow package.

#8 ·
Not sure if your experience is actually relevant to the OP’s truck.....since his 6.4L HEMI and A8 automatic is not a 68RFE.....

Reactions: lilbxl
#10 ·
The highest towing trans temp I ever saw was 85*C driving 115km/h near the top of the Cajon pass heading from LA through Vegas back to Canada. Normal towing temps around here have the trans as 79-80*C. Unloaded it will stay at 76*C.

This sail/brick is 36ish’ long from hitch to bumper and weighs about 8500lbs. At 80mph, 3700rpm through an ugly Utah headwind it gets 5.5-6mpg. Normal people speeds without the wind will get you 8-9mpg..... maybe 10 if you can do what Sammy Hagar can’t.

Reactions: homeguy
#13 ·
Empty

towing 8,300 lb toy hauler, I took the pic after I had been on the highway for 10-15 miles. When I got off the highway, and was dealing with traffic, the trans temp did go up 2 degrees to 170.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.