Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've read a ton about towing tires and I'm more confused now than ever. Here's the scoop.

Currently, running Michelin 255/70r 22.5 G rated I think, with alocoa's wheels - DRW. Can't stand the look to be honest, tires hard as a rock, truck not a soft ride unless I lower the pressure a little. Truck has a Carly lift suspension hence the 22.5 wheel. I'm looking to scrap the wheels and tires. Truck is mostly used for towing a 15k fifth wheel, it's not a daily commuter.

Looking for a solid tire wheel package for the towing needs.

Thoughts?

2005 3500 DRW 4x4

·
Registered
912 Posts
Smaller wheel and more meat will give you a better ride for sure. A stock wheel on 285 will clear without rubbing, but with the lift, depending on what it is, you should be able to get a 17" wheel with a 33-35" tire without rubbing with the correct backspacing.

Short answer though is ditch the 20s and get a bigger tire, and lower the pressure on them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I ran Michelin 265/70/17 Not the greatest traction BUT they lasted 50k towing my 14,500# 5er with a 2,800 pin weight. Drive xl tire wore a bit more than steer Xl tires and rotated every 5k miles
Always ran 80 psi and ride wasn`t bad.
Always wanted 20`s but settled for Cooper AT3 285/ 75/ 17`s(33.8 dia.).
BTW NO clearance issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts