Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, just spent the afternoon reading this forum 16 pages back and did 5 various searches....only found a little bit on towing set ups, but enough to get me started.

Background info: I'm taking the cummins out of our '89 Non-IC 5speed and swapping it into a 2002 v10 5speed. This '89 is bone stock one-owner (our farm) with 150,000 miles (close, odometer went out @90k and replaced). Truck was used for towing cattle trailer (30ft) to cattle shows LOADED. Could average 19-21 MPG. Never had problem with it other than loosing 5th gear in Getrag, and usual dodge maintance. Body and frame went to pot thanks to good ol' NY winters.

Goal: Putting the '89 Non-IC CTD into the 02 v10 5speed, 4.10 rear 4x4. Will be hauling same 30ft cattle trailer, 20ft Pintel hitch trailer, firewood in box, and daily driving. I don't want obnoxious smoke, but realize some will follow upgrades. I need/want towing power, not street/coal power, while keeping cool EGT's and boosting efficency. I want to maintain the good/decent MPG.

Ideas so far: Pyro, boost, fuel pressure guages. BHAF and 4" dual exhaust. 2nd gen Intercooler, Kevlar/ceramic Valiar clutch (500hp, 1000tq, 13" FW). Not sure how much or what to do for pump mods to be able to keep my temps and smoke down (Will be puttin in 3200 spring, full throttle mov't, rotate pin 90* or M&D m2 pin)?

Would a Super HX40 (60 or 62/65/14 or 16) match well with my stock N-IC injectors (4x.012)? I would like a quick spool but large enough to cool while moving enough air. With my searching didnt come by any installation mods, are there any?

Is there a exhaust brake that is mounted on DP instead of turbo that yall would recommend? 02 has rear disk brakes BTW.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get as much info and goals out there as possible to be able to generate to the point responses:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I am also looking for power with least amount of smoke, mostly for towing.

What is BHAF?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big honking air filter. the one i bought is from Napa part #2790 and bought water repellent pre-filters from outerwears.com part #20-1085. the filter is 10.5" dia, and 12" tall roughly with 4"opening

·
Registered
634 Posts
The intercooler is defiantly a good step. That 40 also.. I was running a hx40 with some 220 inj and would have 42 psi of boost on a stock pump.
I would take the power screw in maybe 1 - 1.5 turns. Nothing crazy. Leave the smoke screw alone, and have at it. It will have the power needed, with out the annoying smoke.
I think the biggest part is getting a turbo with a higher efficiency range like that HX 40, it will be able to handle much more air and fuel with out spiking your EGT's. What is the exhaust size on the 40 ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night I found out I'll definatly be needing a new turbo either way because my H1C must have a bad seal leak because when i took my cross over off it had a heavy film of oil on it, from compressor to grid heater which had a couple small "puddles" below it. When we were still running the truck (last week) it had more of a haze to the exhaust then normal, but wasnt using any oil off the dipstick reading.

With that, could I get some more input/info on the Super HX40? (60 or 62/65/14 or 16) are these good numbers for my injectors and goals?

Tiny, what size are those 220 injectors? Do you haul with them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked out the H1C this afternoon, results: exhaust side is dry, just black soot, no play in shaft that I can feel. Compressor side fins are clean, no oil except for the outlet which is fairly wet with oil. This shaft though has play side to side. I can fit a .003" feeler gauge between the fin and bore when pushing, when pulling i can fit a .009" feeler gauge between fin and bore. Sounds like a bearing or seal on the compressor side is bad then??

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Sounds like that turbo is gone.

Your going with a 4" exhaust. Get a turbo with a true 4" outlet.

Now lets talk about the Super HX40. They are a 7 blade extended tip intake wheel. So in your search that is what you are looking for. Stay away from the 6/8 blade version. Those have the old design wheels on them. They don't flow as much air.

Here is a link with some turbo map charts.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/holset-compressor-maps-ive-scurried-up-t255049.html

Going by those map charts. The Super40 and a 62mm S300 are very close on air flow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the link Philip. First time lookin at a turbo map and sort of understand it, but not enough to know what it is telling me as far as which turbo is "better".

What year trucks were the SuperHX40s found on?, or am I safer off buying a new S300. are both of these 4" exhaust outlets?

What kinda of re-sale value is the H1C worth now that it needs a rebuild?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,769 Posts
phillip wouldnt this be a perfect candidate
for an 04.5 + turbo upgrade ? you'd get
the 4" exhaust outlet and the he351 would
flow enough air.. ? just curious.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
The gentleman is talking about working the truck. He has also mentioned turning it up some.

That 351 or what ever the number for it is. Has a small exhaust housing. Small exhaust housings are noted for raising EGT's. What the towing ability is for that small housing 351 I do not know.

Lets let someone with a 351 that hauls a load step in a talk about it.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,769 Posts
i know my egt's never get over 1300 even when
towing heavy with the stocker. maybe someone
with the conversion will chime in. was just
thinking maybe a cheaper alternative to an all
out bigger turbo.

·
Registered
496 Posts
With all my mods and a super 40/ no ic setup and towing fairly heavy, I see about 1100 on the hills @ 25psi of boost.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
when i got my truck it was setup for towing. This truck would pull w.e. load u put behind it effeciently. It didnt have gauges then i put them in when i started tinkiering but this was the setup. Stock turbo,exhaust and fuel pin. The power screw was tightenerd to the collar with 100hp injectors. im not sure what your pullin but my dad took mine with the previous mods on a 3000 mile trip through the rocky mountains pulling a 1 ton dodge dually a single wheel f350 and a dune buggy on a 3 car gooseneck and it pulled like a champ.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I would truely like to go with a 4" exhaust housing, lot less dinking around to get my 4" exhaust fitted up. What were yalls number 'combinations' for the 351 and super40?

In the cattle trailer that we have right now we can usually fit 6, 1500lb cows in using both bays, so thats 9k+/- in cattle right there. If I'm hauling feeder steers or heifers, it would ened up being around 8k+/-. around us we have short steep hills, up and down. Some long grades. for the pintal hitch trailer, lord knows what i'll put on it so figure 10k

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump for more ideas.

Some more thoughts on pump mods: with turning in the power screw, would i benefit from turning the starwheel in and advancing timing a touch? for towing purposes of course.

What are the differnces between the Super HX40 and S300 if I run the same numbers...perhaps 62/65/14? Does the S300 have differnt compressor blade options, to be able to gain the 7 blade? what is the exhaust size on the super40?

Thanks for the help so far, answering questions and getting ideas rolling:thumbsup:

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
That 7 blade rule is for HX40's only.

The S300's are a different brand of turbo's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My truck is a '85 Dodge Crew Cab with a '92 Cummins (7200 pounds empty). I have a 6" lift with 35" tires, 3.54 gears, and the Getrag.

As for mods, I have a HTT 62/65/13 with 5x.014 injectors and the fuel pin turned to the deepest part, my head is studed with A1 studs, and I have the Source Automotive 4" straight pipe exhaust. I have a HVLP with 3/8" feed and 5/16" return lines. The pump is stock, as is timing.

I see 750-800* cruising with 7-10 pounds of boost. Max boost I have seen is 32 pounds (wastegate is set at 40). Max temp I have seen is 1250*, this was with an additional 7500 pounds in tow. To reach this temp I stopped at the bottom of a 12% (3/4 mile) grade and flat footed it up. I short shifted in every gear to create more heat. I hit 1200 degrees in 5th gear, but as soon as the turbo was up to 15 pounds of boost it started to cool fast. I crested the hill at 80 MPH and 1050 degrees.

This setup actually runs cooler than my stock 92 did, it pulls HARD, and still runs 19-20 MPG at 70 MPH. Only thing I am not a big fan of is the turbo lag - it definately spools faster than the stock 21cm, but there is a little bit of lag, and quite a bit of smoke when I accelerate hard (below turbo speeds).

I am going to be adding a 3200 spring, and a M2 pin, as well as turning the pump up, which should help spool up, and may or may not significantly increase temps (increased fuel will spool my too-big turbo faster and higher, so I may actually see a reduction in temps)... I will also be adding Coolertubez, and likely a Power Stroke intercooler. A valet switch will likely be added so I can cut fuel back if temps get out of hand...

Weight wise, your truck likely weighs close to what I do (empty), but loaded you are heavier. You are also more aerodynamic, and have more gear with less tire. The 2nd gen IC is alot more efficient... Once you boil it all down, I suspect you would see temps similar to mine (assuming you are not pulling in the Rockies).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Done some thinking lately. Will I have too much turbo (62/65/14 or 13) if i only turn the fuel pin (or M2 later) and power screw 1.5 and star wheel down +/-2 turns, or will I be close? Any other pump ideas?

From Jkidds site it looks like a S300 (62/65/14) will run $1395 without DP and with $1544 with HX40 4" DP. When I buy my 4" exhaust with DP will the flanges match up to the S300 4" outlet or do i need to buy flange adapter?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I turned my stock pin and added 5x.014 injectors (twice as large as stock), my HTT 62/65/13 is too big for my current setup. I suspect once I get my M2 and turn my pump up it will be about right...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i have towed with the my he351. but my truck is a 727 auto with the 307 gears so i have long gears. but i hauled a 1999 dodge 3/4ton cummins extended cab short bed the other day up hills and on flats and i seen 1200 degrees most on the hill in 2nd gear at about 50mph. but you will have the 5 speed with 4:10 gears there a lot lower than my 307's. i think the 351 is a good option if you can fabricate. it takes a little more effort to put the 351 in than a s300 from what i have gathered

1 - 20 of 47 Posts