Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had this 92 cummins for a couple months now, and just last week we got a horse trailer, 2 horse strait load gooseneck with a tack room, and am wondering about towing.

This has the auto, and when towing out of overdrive, it is running at full 2500 RPM, and only about 105 kph. Is this very normal?

Also, I noticed the oil pressure gauge is right at the last tick before the High mark. Does this mean the sending unit might be failing, or does it usually fail to the low side?

A last question, the coolant temp runs right in the middle, will jump to between the 3rd and 4th ticks, then drop to the middle again.

Any ideas? the oil and the temp gauges are like this all the time. Sorry for all the questions but really am curious

Thanks, Craig

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
105 kph ~ 65 mph. That's pretty much where you should be with stock 235/75R16 tires..
As far as the oil pressure goes, mine run the same place. According to my digital pressure gauge - that's about 74 lbs pressure. Not sure what that converts to in KPa.
The temp should run up to the 4th tick, ~ 200* F, then drop back to the middle ~ 185* F..

You didn't mention if the trailer was loaded or not or your mileage, but those seem like pretty good numbers for a stock '92. I would get an EGT gauge installed real quick if you plan to tow a lot...Most of the cummins can take a beating - lower oil pressure than normal, higher temp than normal, etc - BUT you cannot run the egt's over 1200* F for very long...Like maybe 10 - 15 seconds. You'll start melting pistons and you know where that'll leave you....
Enjoy the truck and when - not if - you get the bug for a few extra horses -
There's plenty og help here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was loaded with one horse, and a bunch of tack and stuff. Mileage was just under 13mpg.

Tires are (i believe) 265/75R17 I dont remember for sure, but I know they are not stock size.

where about do you install a EGT gauge, and what is a decent type and range?

At the beginning of July we will be pulling the same load from Alberta to Ontario so I want to get everything sorted out know.

Thanks, Craig

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
My Sending Unit Went Out Couple Months Ago And When It Did It Went To Zero And Mine Was A Pain In The A$$ To Remove Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts