Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks for some help. I looked at the 2020 ram 2500 ctd 4x4 today. The door jam sticker said max of 2080 cargo. Does trailer tongue weight come out of that figure for a 5th wheel hook up? Most 40’ toyhaulers have hitch weight Of 3000lbs yet I see 2500s towing this rigs all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, tongue and hitch pin weight come out of payload. Start looking at bigger trucks if you’re also looking at 40’ toy haulers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 19 Cummins 2500. I bought the 2500 for the ride quality but I’ve pulled heavy weight with it. My last truck was a 3500 and it would squat about the same if not more. What exactly is different besides coils and leaf springs?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does changing the badges on the truck still count for having a bigger truck? That'll get you more towing capacity.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
Do both SRW and SRW 3500's dtill have leaf springs?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks for some help. I looked at the 2020 ram 2500 ctd 4x4 today. The door jam sticker said max of 2080 cargo. Does trailer tongue weight come out of that figure for a 5th wheel hook up? Most 40’ toyhaulers have hitch weight Of 3000lbs yet I see 2500s towing this rigs all the time.

2500 trucks pulling big trailers are punching over their weight.

My 32' 12K GVWR 5th Wheel has a loaded pin weight around 2080. With a 25K rated hitch at around 100lbs, 4K genset around 138 lbs. , and gear and bodies in the truck, we're over the "legal" door sticker weight but under the rear axle and tire GVWR. I installed air bags and it helps tremendously, and I've been safely towing this for 14 years, but doesn't make it a legal 3500.

The truck I have on order is a 3500. Nuff said.

Even then, a 3000+ pin would be pushing the limit of a 4x4 LWB Limited that has only a 3700 payload. I think if you ask around, those big triple axle toyhaulers and wide body drop frame full time rigs have closer to 3800-4000 lb pin weights.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does changing the badges on the truck still count for having a bigger truck? That'll get you more towing capacity.
Do not forget about the magic towing dust. The big three have employed the stuff liberally over the yrs and TFLT did a good segment on the magical stuff a few or four yrs ago.

If the OP is sincere with the 40-ft toy hauler, it needs to be latched to a DRW 3500, full stop! Never mind what the other idjits are doing out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2500 trucks pulling big trailers are punching over their weight.

My 32' 12K GVWR 5th Wheel has a loaded pin weight around 2080. With a 25K rated hitch at around 100lbs, 4K genset around 138 lbs. , and gear and bodies in the truck, we're over the "legal" door sticker weight but under the rear axle and tire GVWR. I installed air bags and it helps tremendously, and I've been safely towing this for 14 years, but doesn't make it a legal 3500.

The truck I have on order is a 3500. Nuff said.

Even then, a 3000+ pin would be pushing the limit of a 4x4 LWB Limited that has only a 3700 payload. I think if you ask around, those big triple axle toyhaulers and wide body drop frame full time rigs have closer to 3800-4000 lb pin weights.

The 3500 dually I looked at yesterday had a payload of 5267.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Which is why the only thing that can make a 1500 Ecodiesel an even better tow vehicle is a 3500 badge.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Keep in mind, the pin weight you see listed for a 5th wheel is typically the dry weight of the trailer. The true pin weight is a percentage (usually 20-25%) of the 5th wheel listed GVWR. If the TH you're looking at has a GVWR of, say, 18000 pounds, the pin weight would be about 3960 (based on 22%).

Do yourself a favor and buy the right truck for towing something that big. You're absolutely in DRW territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I just removed mine. It not only kept the old farts at the campgrounds from bitsching at me about being overloaded when they should have been back at their own campsite concentrating on their next bowel movement, but also provided a bit of bewilderment for them, which I'm sure is a welcome departure from only focusing on a #2!

To answer the original question, I'd go with a 3500 for big pin weights. 2500 will do it with help but if buying new, buy the best tool (for about the same price coincidentally).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm not the weight police, but I towed my current fifth wheel with my 2500 for a while. It did fine. I wanted a longbed, and figured while upgrading I'd just get a dually since it is pretty much strictly a tow vehicle that I don't drive daily. I'm very pleased that I got a dually, and now I can basically buy any RV that I'd like and not worry about capability. Mine has a payload of 54xx lbs. If I drove mine daily I probably would have bought a SRW 3500. That's my .02

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have a 19 Cummins 2500. I bought the 2500 for the ride quality but I’ve pulled heavy weight with it. My last truck was a 3500 and it would squat about the same if not more. What exactly is different besides coils and leaf springs?
The spring rates are different...the manufacturers intentionally run softer springs on a 2500 to improve the ride quality, but still allow good performance [/I]up to the rated GVWR[/I]. Now with squat being the same...yes and no. The leaf springs have an overload that doesn't come into play until the truck has squatted a certain amount. This means additional weight can be handled on a 3500 that would sink a 2500. There may also be differences in the axle rating between a 2500 and 3500.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There may also be differences in the axle rating between a 2500 and 3500.
I "believe", speaking SRW only, the 2500 has a RAWR of 6,000 or 6,390 lbs depending on config (excluding power wagon), where the 3500 SRW has a rating of 7,000 lbs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts